Does anyone have a good remedy for Pink Eye?

I am using the medicated drops, but it isn't clearing up very fast. I read that mixing equal parts of milk and honey and dripping that into the eye works well. I just want him to have relief and be able to go back to school. I hate to think of him falling behind because of pink eye, and obviously he can't go back until it's cleared up.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The general rule is 24 hours on meds, no longer contagious. He should be able to go back to school.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• If it is not clearing up, take him back to the doctor. It could just be allergies or something else noncontagious.
    I have never seen pink eye not clear up after 48 hours of treatment and it is usually no longer pink after 16-24hours for my kids.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• ditto to the first answer. I wouldn't mix medicine and homemade remidies, b/c you never know how they may react. Is you child on antibiotics for the pink eye, or jsut the drops?
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Just the drops.

It's not as bad today, it just looks like it hurts. It started yesterday morning and it's already better today, but it seems like it's taking forever to get better. It's really hard to get the drops in his eyes so I worry that it's not working like it should.  We aren't generally a sick family so I suppose I am a bit impatient for it to get better.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• after 24 hours on meds he is no longer considered contageous...so he should be fine! and no dont mix home remidies because it could make the meds inneffective. Just give it some time, or call your ped!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Conjunctivitis doesn't clear up over night even with the drops.. All the drops do is help fight the infection so it is no longer contagious...

KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• They won't let him back in school until it's completely cleared up. It's already looking better today, I think I am just a bit impatient (especially when it comes to my kids getting better - like any other mom). I am sure he will be fine to go back tomorrow, but the nurse has to 'clear' him before he goes back to class.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Oops! That anon was me. I accidentally hit anon instead of Answer Question.

Thanks again ladies!

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• There is no home remedy. Just use the drops. After 24 hours on the meds, he can go back to school, he is no longer contagious. Pink eye is nothing to fool around with. If it goes untreated, it can lead to other issues. My uncle is an eye doctor, so I get all the good info and I have had Pink eye more times than I care to remember. If it is itching, put a warm washcloth on his eye and massage it. Make sure he washes his hand everytime he touches his eyes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2009