How do you deal with a friend like this?

Not really quite sure where this question would fall, but here goes. I have a friend that for the most part is a great friend. We really don't see each other much, as she lives about 12 hours away. She has always been there for me in the past and we have helped each other through a lot of hard times. But lately it seems that she is only available when she needs something. The times that I want or need to talk to her, she isn't there for me. She used to be the one that I could talk to about anything, good or bad. How would you deal with it? Would you move on away from the friendship or say something to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You either accept that it's now about her needs and not yours or you will have to move on. I have a friend that is the same way and we rarely speak unless she calls then it's small talk for 5 minutes before she asks me for what the real reason for the call was...it had nothing to do with wanting to catch up it was just a front for the favor she needed....I accept her as she is but don't go any further as a friend.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It is becoming a one sided frindship. I would talk to her about it. And if it did not change I would stop being friends with her.

Answer by louise2 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have a friend like that also. Its not that she doesnt care about you, but your both changing and the with the distance, its hard to stay as close. I would continue contact with her, but it might be a good idea to find another friend to share things with. My friend and I dont talk anywhere near as much, but we still call eachother best friends, even though we havent seen eachother in over a year.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i say talk to her maybe yall can work this out. GL
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• OP here: Thank you ladies for your advice and help. I really appreciate it. To those of you who said that I should say something I have one more question. How would you say it? I have been kinda wanting to say something for some time now. I will sit down and put pen to paper trying to gather my thoughts on what it is that I want to tell her. When I go back and look at what it is that I am wanting to say, I look either really bitchy or really needy and clingy. How do I say something without sounding Bitchy or Clingy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think some friends we make for life...but some come and go filling a purpose for us or we them, and then they kind of drift away. This is usually bittersweet. Letting go of someone you felt a connection with is never easy. Sometimes it is just the natural order of things.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009