Need Advise. Bad Mornings

My DH 15 almost 16 is a bear in the morning. I have to go in his room 4-5 times to get him up then he gets up only 10 minutes before it is time to leave. He says he is tired and doesn't feel good. I told him before school started that if he gets up with no problem he does not have a bed time. Here is my question. He has gotten up but is such a grump and treats me like crap in the morning. Do I shut everything down at 10 and really piss him off? He just moved back in with me after a year at his dads. He went to his dad's in the first place because I took everything away because of his morning behavior. He can not go back to his dad's because his step mother does not want him there. What to do?????

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 11:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• take it all away again...he has no place to go..he is being a brat!!! i don't mean that ina nasty way, i have a 8 year old who can be bad in the mornings too. good luck. where does he get any spending money? maybe you could use that aas an incentive too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Next time go to his room and open the curtains, turn on all the lights, grab the covers and pull them off the bed. if that does not work. get a glass of cold water, ice cold and throw on him. You need to make him understand there is a bed time on school nights. Weather he likes it or not.

Answer by louise2 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• 10pm?
    hell yeah, he should already be asleep, or at least in bed with no electronics in his bedroom (notv, no hand held games, no PlayStation etc)
    he is up too late, teens need more sleep than at any other time during their lives
    send him to bed with a book at 9pm
    lights out at 10pm

you are the parent, act like one, do not let him treat you this way and if he does hell yes take his shit away from him until he can treat you with some respect, he does not have to be a morning person, most teens are not, but he does have to have respect

good luck, hope it improves as school becomes a routine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I know I need to get control as he should not treat me like crap. I will shut down at 10 tonight and let you all know how it goes. Thanks Ladies.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 11:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Try asking him what time he thinks he should go to sleep in order to get up easily. Perhaps offer to let him get himself up without your waking him (avoiding the grumpiness), but let him know that if he is late you will set his bed-time. Try to work it out with him rather than arguing about it or just taking control because you think he is too grumpy or unpleasant in the morning. I am also grumpy in the morning, I am just a night person. But he needs to learn that adults deal with these things, not just stay up too late & oversleep.I do that by limiting all interaction with my family for the first 30min. because if I don't I will be a bear to them. Getting up is part of life & he needs to learn to do it himself, his way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Some kids don't need as much sleep,but, if he is grump he needs his rest,also remember grumpy and disrespect is 2 different things. I don't believe you should pull his covers off,or throw water on his,that is mean and abusive,and will only cause him to react in a very negative way,I would talk with him,ask him,what he think a good bedtime is,also ask him,what punishment should be given when he disrespect you or refuse to get up in the morning. Let him know,you aren't backing down,and you love him,but,your home is a home of peace and grumpiness and bad attitudes are not welcome.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• How late his he staying up? 10 pm is not an unreasonable bedtime for a 15 or 16 y/o. I remember that at his age (actually, starting at age 13) I was responsible for getting myself up for school, preparing my own breakfast & getting myself & my belongings together and out the door on time to catch the bus. If I missed the bus, I had to accept the consequences imposed on me by both my parents & the school. I think I only ever missed the bus once in 6 years. Perhaps if your DS had to accept the consequences for his behavior, he would rethink it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009