Do you think you are a successful parent?

I know we all hope to be successful moms, but do you honestly think you either have or will have raised responsible, socially functioning, well manered children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP Here:
    I don't mean do you think your kids are going to be perfect. Example: A lady came into my office yesterday and told me that she was a total failure as a parent, her son was in and out of jail, and it would have been better had he just died and she grieved at least she wouldn't worry about him being sentanced to the death penalty!! Ok, I know this is EXTREME (and I am pretty sure the lady was a bit crazy herself) but this is where my question came from. I think I am going a damn good job raising my kids, I work hard at teaching them right from wrong, teaching them to be respectful, and I really think as adults they will be productive and functioning people in society.

I'm just saying..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Only time will tell. Plus there are a lot of unforeseeable variables. I've seen parents that were pretty damn good parents turn out horrible kids. but it wasn't the parent's fault.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Well my son admits he punched a kid back after the kid punched him first! That would be taking responsibilty!
    At social functions where the kids are running wild, my boys fit right in so I guess they are socially functional.
    And they do say excuse me when they burp or pass gas and they do say sorry after they plow each other over and make each other cry so there is the manners!
    So yeah I guess you could say I am a success!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Time will tell but so far we are doing a great job. My kids are all very polite, are very giving to others and are great kids. My 13 year old spends his Saturdays reading to elderly people at the care home near us. He is the kid that does put others before himself. My younger kids are following in his foot steps. We will continue to raise them that way what they do as adults is on them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• as long as my kid (or kids if i have more) doesnt grow up to be a serial killer or a rapist i'll call it a success :p

im trying the best i know how. doesnt count for much but i'm trying.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Well, I should hope so or the parents who come to pay me for my professional services are going to be very disappointed! Before I was "Mom" I was a therapist who worked with children and their families from anything like divorce, trauma, to serious chronic mental illness. I have friends who joke that I have the only two year old who articulates that he is "frustrated" and "needs my personal space and time." It is an everyday reaching and teaching. I now get to practice what I preached to many of the parents I worked with. I love that I have a lot of tools and knowledge under my belt.....the bad part is I can be very hard on myself on days where I have what I call "a bad parenting day." None of us are perfect but most of us raise good kids.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• yes. I'm very proud of how my children have turned out. I was afraid that being from a divorced family would damage them but they are all grown and happy and in long term healthy relationships, responsible adults and parents, assets to their community, honest, hard working, compassionate, helpful. I know I didn't make all that happen alone. Their dad was an abusive jerk but I had a great supportive family who lent moral support once I got away from him.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yup I am
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• After 22 years as a parent here is what I know......No matter how you raise your kid in the end it really is genetics, and peer influences.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2009