How do you love God when he lets so much bad go on?

I asked a question a couple of days ago about whether or not I should go to my son's MDO prayer meeting bc I'm not sure I believe in what they teach. I chose to send him more for the preschool aspect. Anyways, I decided to go bc I didn't want to be the only parent not there. I want to be involved. So me and Wyatt went and we were the only parent/student there. Ironic and awkward! But the prayer was so beautiful I was almost crying! And I felt that presence I had always failed to feel before. So now my problem is how do I believe in someone who let's so much hurt and pain go on. I know all about free will, but why create something you know will end like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• How do you love your children when they do bad things? If they became drug addicts or murderers, you would love them unconditionally right? That's kind of the same concept as the love for God. A lot of unconditional love and faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• A good read that will help you understand is "The Shack"
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• when my grandmother died when i was 12 i hated god for taking her away for me, then i had my son and i thanked god for giving me this wonderful child, and the same with my daughter. my mom recently got sick and the dr only gave her 3-6 months to live. i screamed and had that hate for god all over again. then my DS said these words to me " GOD HAS A REASON FOR EVERYTHING HE DOES" "GOD HAS A PLAN". this coming from a 14 (at the time) boy that don't go to church, or pray. i just thank god everyday for the things good, or bad he brings into my life.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Remember too God often brings good from what the devil intends for evil. You will probably never find an answer to this question that satisfies your heart 100%, people have been asking questions like this for 1000's of years.

All I can tell you is I would rather face the trials of life with God guiding, loving, strengthing me than without. Bad things happen to everyone, the difference is I have someone to go through them with me. God has never left me, even when I was so angry I tried to push him away. I have yelled at God, I have complained about how unfair life is, all of that. But God was still there, holding me close. Besides, why do we just focus on the bad that happens, there is a heck of a lot of good out there too. Try giving God the credit for the good too and ask Him to help you understand the bad, or have the strength to endure it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Anon, the difference is that your God, being all powerful HAS THE ABILITY to stop bad things from happening and doesn't. Love is not sitting by and intentionally letting awful people hurt the ones you love simply because the bad person has the free will to do it (isn't THAT over-riding the other person's free will?).

Love is not using pain and suffering to teach someone a lesson- I don't come home and kick my kids in the head every day because without that pain, they couldn't understand how much they need me or how much I love them. The excuses believers use for this type of behavior is akin to how abused woman excuse being beaten my their men. They mistake abuse for love and think nothing is wrong with that.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I believe less and less each day when I see all the horrible things in the world. No loving, caring, parent-like deity would let millions die of AIDS and hunger and malaria. No loving, caring, parent-like deity would let millions get cancer and die horrible, painful, grotesque deaths. No loving, caring, parent-like deity would let millions of children become orphans after their parents are murdered or killed.

The puzzle pieces just do not fit. That's my opinion, take it or leave it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• That is a bit like saying that a parent doesn't love their child because they allowed them to be hit by a car. A parent gives their child the information they need to avoid being in a collision & try to watch over them so it doesn't happen, but the child ends up hit by a car anyway. The only way that even an omnipotent god could keep people safe at all times is to control them at all times & humans can't be happy as slaves, it is just the way we are. So if that god didn't let bad things randomly happen we would be miserable because we knew we weren't in control of our lives. You can't have both control of yourself & perpetual safety.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Just as a clarification, I don't believe in an omnipotent god, but the "bad things happen" argument doesn't stand up for disproving one. Professional philosophers can explain it better than I can. Find books or websites concerning "philosophy of religion," "philosophical problems," or more specifically "the problem of evil" if you want to understand it better. A good source will give both the arguments for & against the existence of an omnipotent god related to the issue of evil in the world.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• nysa00, 'allowed them to be hit by a car?  What parent 'allows' their child to be hit? Don't you think ANY PARENT, who had the capability to stop a tragedy from happening would step in and stop it? I wouldn't stand on the curb and let my child walk out into traffic to teach them a lesson or push them onto the busy street to test them to see if they listened to my speech about looking both ways!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• If God is letting things happen randomly, then how do you explain when prayers are answered? If he is NOT controlling or manipulating lives/situations, then those prayers for healing or intervention really go unanswered and are a waste of time. IF he does answer those prayers and saves someone from death or whatever, then he is indeed picking and choosing which people to save- so what makes one life more worth saving than the other?

IhartU