When did your period return after birth?

My son is 4 1/2 months old, I am breastfeeding still (just started some baby food), and I've been on the prog bc pill for 2 1/2 cycles. I still haven't gotten my period which I hear is normal if you are bfing. Does anyone know how bc pills affect the return of your period? When did yours return and are you breastfeeding still? Are you on the pill?

bxp10070

Asked by bxp10070 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm assuming you're on the mini-pill since you're breastfeeding. The way that works is mainly by making it hard for the sperm to fertilize the egg and by creating a harsh environment in the uterus so if an egg does get fertilized it's hard for it to implant. It does not stop ovulation like a regular pill. Since you haven't had a period yet, you probably haven't ovulated yet, which is due to the breastfeeding, not the pill. I'm not too sure how the mini-pill works as far as regulating your period, if it does at all, but because of the way it works I'm fairly certain it wouldn't stop your period from coming; that's all due to breastfeeding. Since you've added solids to your baby's diet, it might not be long until your period starts again, or it might still be several months. There's no telling.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I was on the minipill after my 1st, 2nd and 4th child and my period didn't start until my son(s) were almost 9 months old. fyi - i started solids with them at 4 months, and after my 2nd I got pregnant (yes on the minipill and bfeeding) before I got my period

Answer by missanc at 1:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Missanc-
    Oh, jeez, were you really good at taking the pill? Do you know if it is common to get pregnant while bfing and on the mini pill? I am pretty good at taking it, I usually remember within the 3hour time period. I got pregnant with my lo while on ortho-low but I missed a few days that month. I really am hoping that my bf and I can get married before another one and I don't want to be pregnant when I'm getting married. Thanks for all the good info ladies. This question has been on my mind awhile now.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm on the "minipill" and my dd is 3 months old and I am breastfeeding. I THINK I got my period 4 weeks after she was born, but I had only just stopped bleeding from birth so I can't be positive, but that's when I went on the pill and I haven't had a period since.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• With my first I wasn't on any BC and started about 15 months. With my second I got an IUD and got my period about 14 months. My children hated pureed food so didn't get much in the way of solids until about 9 months old though and definitely not anything until they were 6 months as the AAP and most doctors recommend. Unless you are very adamant about taking it at the same time every day then the mini pill has a high failure rate so I wouldn't count on it after about 6 months.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• 14 months. Breastfeeding the whole time. Well, not the WHOLE time... but, with a child eating a lot of other foods. The second time it was shorter, but I don't remember, probably around a year.

The fun part of the game is that you'll probably ovulate before your first period, which is why a lot of moms get to go from pregnant to pregnant without a period...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2009