i cant even take my 2 year old in a store with me..

She will not got in the shopping cart and sit down, she screams and throws a fit. I went to wal-mart this morning and she threw the biggest fit, she layed down in the floor and when I picked her up she was wiggling and I had to leave, what can I do? Is it just a phase they go through? I was so embarassed and I had to leave without getting pull ups or tampons, and we have to have both today. I don't have anyone who can keep her for me either

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 yr old decided the other day that he had to hit the balloon at in the front of the store. When I wouldn't let him, the screaming could be heard everywhere.. I understand your frustration. That day I put him into the cart (battling through the wiggling and hitting) strapped him in and went on my way. I ignored the screaming and talked to him calmly about what was in the store. Eventually he just gave up and quieted down. That's the key, you can't give in! I agree with the poster who suggested putting her back into the car and waiting for the tantrum to pass. Then try again. She'll learn she isn't going to win and your life will get easier! I always make sure I have a snack and drink with me as well. Keep an eye on the possibility that she's getting overwhelmed by the sounds/sights of the store but my bet is she's just being a toddler! GOod luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• um... try disciplining her? Right now you are letting her get her way by teaching her if she has a fit she gets to leave the store like she wants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You gave her exactly what she wanted...to leave.

Let her throw her fit. What do you do at home when she throws her fits? Do that at the store as well.

She throws herself on the floor and screams..fine. Sit her up and tell her she's in time out until she decides to stop embarrassing herself. Then just stand there. Let people talk, let them look. Every so often, ask her...are you done with your fit yet so we can go shopping? If she simmers down, then go do your shopping. If not, then let her go some more.

But that's what we do here. You do what you would normally do. But stop letting her get away with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yea... spanking a child will not scar them or make them violent... sometimes that is all that works! You can't let her control you. Why do you think she throws fits? Is she bored? Bring her some toys along. Make a system with marbles every time you go to the store she gets one if she is good. Once she gets 5 she gets to pick out a cheap toy or a candy. You have to find out what works with her.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• do what ive done...take them out to the car immediately and let them scream it out in the car while you wait outside her door...that way you dont get burst eardrums...lol another good idea is to bring something with you that will keep her distracted while she is in the store...she might be overstimulated by everything around her and need something to focus on...another neat trick for when she is a bit older is what i do to my daughter...i tell her when we head into the store she can have a slice of cheese from the deli IF and only IF she is good the entire time in the store...if she is i get her one right before she leaves...there was a few times where she was bad...and i made sure she realised she didnt get the cheese this time...it took a couple times for me doing this for her to realize she must behave.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• That was my daughter, she used to do that, I just ignored her, she just had to deal with it, I also never had a problem popping her little butt IN PUBLIC when she needed it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• OP HERE: Where I live you cannot spank a child without someone calling CPS on you. If i was to spank her in a store i would be in trouble. and when I spank her she laughs, How am I just supposed to stand in a store and let her act like that with everyone staring at me and talking about me? I get enough shit from people because I am young (actually I am 21 but I look like Im about 15) I do discipline my daughter but it doesnt work, I have tried everything, spnking, time out, etc. and nothing is working. I am consistent with her on discipline but she is really mean
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My son used to do that all the time I hated it. It does make you feel embarrassed. What I ended up doing was I told him he didn't want me to get the wooden spoon and hold the spoon and have this stern look on my face showing him I wasn't playing. I kinda just scared him, he never knew what the spoon was for and he didn't want to know. So now all I have to do is say Do you wanna talk to the spoon and he gets his act together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• OP again, I also do bring toys to distract her but she doesnt stay focused for long, I have also tried bringing snacks, sippy cup, etc. NOTHING is working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• To hell with what other people think, you have two choices, either FIND someone to watch your daughter so you can shop in peace or just ignore her fits in the store. You can't stop them really, she's two, she's gonna be a little turd, it's her job lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2009