How would you handle the situation of your child strangling another child on the playground?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh, I'd spank his little but all the way up to the car then take away dessert.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Strangling? thats pretty harsh. you may want to take him to the doctor to get counseling
    queenamy

Answer by queenamy at 11:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• omg thats not good! i would immediately make him apologise to the child AND the parents...and ground him from the playground for a month!!!!!!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Kids grab the available part that they can hang onto... on children, that's often the neck.

The trick is to be supervising your chlid so s/he doesn't end up being labelled the dangerous psychotic these other moms think is likely.

Contrary to popular opinion, children do NOT need other children their age to play with, nor do they need to 'work it out on their own'. Children need guidance and supervision so they can learn all the complicated social rules of our times, and other kids can't teach them that, only adults can. Other kids can only teach how to be kids, which they already know how to do.

Stay closer to the child and stay alert to what is happening in the play so that s/he never gets to the point of attacking another child out of frustration or fear or anger or boredom.

Short, frequent opportunities to learn how to deal with things are far more effective than long periods of time with no exposure.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I was a teen when one brother 9yr at the time try to strangle our little brother 3yrs old at the time, over a video game. I was babysitting no adults around. after I was able to get  him off I sent him to his room and tended to the little one. then I went back and grounded the 9yr with NO TV, NO sugar to include Kool-ad, sodas, and NO Video games for a month, but he was still aloud outside to run off his over hyper self. we never had a problem after that. he just had  a lot of pent-up energy, later we enrolled him in sports.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i would spank his lil ass!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• if my daughter ever tried to strangle someone i would pull her aside explain to her why she cant do that and if she did it again then I would take her home and make her sit in her room for a certain amount of time...depending on how old she is.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 5:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Skip the spanking. I would have his butt in anger management so fast, his head would spin. Why spank a child that is hurting someone else, just teaches them that it is ok to be violent. Defeats the purpose, IMO.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Just be glad that the child didn't strangle my child. I would seriously be considering filing charges because I would guess that this is not an isolated event. They don't go from being angels to strangulation overnight. At the very least, I would be on the school to monitor this child like a criminal. Kids should not ever have to be afraid to go to school. People say public school prepares kids for real life. Well, in real life, this kid would be in jail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• This kid's 6 years old. This is an isolated event. He's never done more than kicking around rocks, and pushing his friends back when they push him. I've already called the doc, which recommended counseling, which we will be going through the school. I've talked with his teacher every day trying to evaluate his behavior to see what we can do. He's smart, creative, and loves to read. He's not a criminal at only 6 years old. The parents surprisingly have not said anything to me. I don't know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2009