what should she do?

*I couldnt find the right category for this suject*
my mother wired some money (3,180.00) over a 12 month period to her siser -in-law to pay a bill instead the lady kept the money now my mom can possibly be going to jail. I told my mother to file a small claims case but she has no idea how to do it and neither do i. If you have any suggestions or comments please leave them below.

thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• why is she going to jail???? but to file small claims you need to contact your local court...they will send you the correct paperwork to fill out.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• clearly your mother neds a lawyer to keep her out of jail and recover the money so it can go wherever it was supposed to go. Contact legal aid
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• The small claims court is at the county courthouse. if the SIL doesn't live in the same county or state as your mom it might be more difficult. You have to establish jurisdiction. I'd tell her to talk with an attorney. Some consult for free and even if she had to pay a consult fee it's cheaper than hiring the atty for a criminal charge. Not sure how she can be arrested for not paying a bill. Bills are civil matters not criminal.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2009