chicken pox vaccine

Well to start this out i am not a mom who doesnt believe in not vaccinating, but today at the dr office my daughters 15 mos check up i did refuse the chicken pox vaccine i had just herd a few bad things about it and decided not too. I had the chicken pox and im fine what is your guy's insight on this and how do u feel about chicken pox partys?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's not about the chicken pox, it's about the potential complications and if you have chicken pox, you could get shingles as an adult, which is very painful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• wait, that doesn't make sense NoahsMomma. Shingles is caused when the chicken pox virus, which lays dormint in your body, for some reason activates again. So you would only get shingles *if* you had chicken pox.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I agree with noahsmomma i will not vax against the chicken pox I had them and I am fine, and it does guard against shingles. Everyone I know that has had shingles never had chicken pox and my grandmother is one of those people it was awful at 70 years old and her with the shingles she was in so much pain. So I will try to make sure my kids have the CP.
    Miranda123006

Answer by Miranda123006 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• http://www.medicinenet.com/shingles/article.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My dd got the chickem pox vaccine,. the only reaction she had was a slight fever very low and a rash. wish is normal the rash went away in like 3 days and the fever was gone in hours.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My DS(he's 4) also hasn't had the Chicken Pox for a few reasons but he has had everything else vaccine wise.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We got the vaccine. Chances are, if the pox goes around, my son may still get it (that is how the vaccine works) but complications and the pox themselves will be much more mild. This is one that I am iffy about. Glad that we had the vaccine, but don't think it is one that should be mandatory.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My 18 month old nephew almost died of complications due to chicken pox (he scratched one, just one, and it became infected with antibiotic resistant staph - he doesn't go to daycare, his mom stays home with him). I have delayed and selectively vaccinated, but this is one my kids will get.

Answer by missanc at 2:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Shingles is a skin rash caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. This virus is called the Varicella zoster virus (VZV) and is in the Herpes family of viruses. After an individual has chickenpox, this virus lives in the nervous system and is never fully cleared from the body. Under certain circumstances, such as emotional stress, immune deficiency (from AIDS or chemotherapy), or with cancer, the virus reactivates and causes shingles. In most cases of shingles, however, a cause for the reactivation of the virus is never found. Anyone who has ever had chickenpox is at risk for the development of shingles, although it occurs most commonly in people over the age of 60. It has been estimated that up to 1,000,000 cases of shingles occur each year in the U.S.

Hello people. Chicken pox is how you get shingles later in life. Where do you get your information? In microbiology, my professor talked about this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

Here's how grammy got it genius! How can people be so misinformed and then make such important decisions for their children????

Yes, shingles is contagious. Shingles can be spread from an affected person to children or adults who have not had chickenpox. But instead of developing shingles, these people develop chickenpox. Once they have had chickenpox, people cannot catch shingles (or contract the virus) from someone else. Once infected, however, people have the potential to develop shingles later in life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2009