How much milk is too much?

Not that I listen to the people at WIC anyway but they told me my 12 month old should only be drinking 2-3 six-ounce bottles/sippy's of milk a day. He eats his regular food too so it got me thinking why they would say he shouldn't have more than that? All he drinks is milk and water so what if he's really thirsty? Is it a fat content thing or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah and it can also block some kids up a little. Water should be next after milk servings are fulfilled.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 12:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My doctor told me that 3 6oz of milk is the minimum amount of milk a child should drink (my child drinks the minimum amount). eveyone has a different opinion (docorts, specialists, ect) i would say unless your son has developing a serious health problem, no need for concern!
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 12:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My dr told me no more than 24oz a day, but she also switched dd to 2% milk. She said they used to think that babies needed the extra fat, but with childhood obesity on the rise, they are recommending 2% for bigger babies and my daughter is a chubby healthy girl. She is not a water fan though, so I trick her and mix water and milk . . . mostly water. She drinks it. This way she is getting her milk in the morning and bedtime and then a mixture throughout the rest of the day.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I've heard 24 oz a day too - if your sippy's are 8 ounces, then 3 would be about right. If they drink more than that, they will fill up on milk and not want other foods that have other nutrients your kids need. Water is fine for kids to drink after they have their servings of milk.

Answer by missanc at 1:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I agree with the others on the 24 ozs. I typically give my son all the milk he wants at meals (typically a glass but sometimes 1.5 glasses) with water in between. If he doesn't drink much milk at meals, I offer milk in between. Since he's a good eater and at a healthy weight for his age/height, I'm assuming we're getting it about right..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• our doc said anywhere between 20-26 oz... he gets anywhere from 18-26oz a day but he also drinks at least 4 9oz cups of water and 2-3 of juice flavored water... lol (5partas water 1 part juice)
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My pedi told me that toddlers need 1/2 oz of milk per pound of body weight a day. I have a 16 pound child that if she has more than 1--8oz cup of milk can't poop. She only takes in 24 oz of fluid a day anyway. 8 oz milk, 8 oz--50/50 juice/water, and 8 oz of water--if she needs more then it is water no extra juice or water. We have to have the juice or we don't poop regularly. All kids are different. Do what works for you child.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009