Did you talk to your honey about money?

befor you tied the knot.... meaning did you ask each other, do you pay your bills on time or how do you plan on paying your debt before we get married ,who will be in charge of the paying bills when we are married etc...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• We started out paying our own bills as if nothing happened. Slowly we combined accounts and now he pretty much takes care of everything.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• we lived together for 5 years before we wed...in that time, we consolidated all the bills and accounts...we each get an allowance each week and the rest goes to bills...whatever is left over, we can either split or save for a rainy day. I pay the bills and we both talk about big purchases before we buy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• No, not really. Neither of us had any money, lol. We started living together and paid our bills together. We had dated for a year first, then lived together for 3 years before we got married. We saw in that time that we could agree on how we spend our money. We have a budget that we update every month. We each get a small amount of pocket money that we don't have to justify to each other, beyond that all other purchases (those beyond what is budgeted for) has to be discussed first. I ended up being the one in charge of the money, I'm a control freak and he has no interest in taking care of the bills and stuff, so it works well for us.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Everyone should talk about money before they are married. My husband and I lived together for a few years before we were married. During that time we (ok I) set up a budget to pay our bills.
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 1:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yes, yes, yes. With so many people divorcing due to financial problems? Of course. We didn't live together, but we were at each other's places a lot and saw each other's bills and bank accounts. I knew his financial situation and he knew mine. When we got engaged we started a joint savings account and each started contributing what we could after we paid our bills - very soon we had enough for a sizable down payment for a house. My dh gets a paycheck and pays all the bills, I stay at home so he gives me some money and I wait tables Friday nights for fun money.

Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I had worked at a bank for 15 years so my husband knew who was going to be doing the financial end of things and that is why I can now stay home with the kids because I ran the financial end.

patchthatpays

Answer by patchthatpays at 2:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Nope, we don't really talk money much. Never did. We started a joint bank account years before we were married. All our money went in and the bills were all paid from there. Whatever was left, we had to blow. But I paid all the bills, and bought all the food. He knew nothing about where the money went. Still doesn't.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Absolutely

Answer by rkoloms at 3:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We lived together before we got married so we already had it figured out. But we did talk as far as What I would help with from my checks and what he would pay with his. And that has changed as time has gone and (and I made more money LOL)
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009