Naps?

So i was just wondering if "naptime" is something that the parents actually put in place? Or is it just when the child falls asleep? My 4 month old used to go to sleep throughout the day on her own, but now she is sleeping less and less...does this mean now I should be putting her down for a nap? In her crib? or.....I guess in a nutshell my question is are do kids go to sleep on there own when they are tired? Or are they taught that they need naps throughout the day? And when they take there nap...do you always do it where they sleep at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• The first few months my son would sleep just about anywhere (car, couch, in his swing, etc.). After about 6 months or so I kinda knew what time he would fall asleep so when it came to that time I would put him in his crib. I was always told that the baby should learn that the crib/bassinet is for sleeping that way they sleep better at night. =)
    Aplatel87

Answer by Aplatel87 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i would say they have to be taught because many kids fight sleep even when they are exhausted and fussy. And i would do it in their bed
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My baby girl gets a little fussy and wants a bottle around 10-11 am and I lay her down in her crib for a nap and she falls asleep... anywhere from 1-3 hour naps. I think every baby is different, some are taught to take a nap at a certain time and some get tired and are put to nap at a certain time of day.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• A child will sleep when tired, but the goal of the parent is to get a feel for the childs schedule, and know that baby generally takes a nap at this time, this time, and this time. Yes, putting baby down in her crib will help tremendously when it comes to baby associating the crib with sleep.
    If the parent can get used to the babies schedule, then they can lay them down at an appropriate time, instead of waiting for baby to throw a screaming fit because they are exhausted, and mom can plan her day accordingly (i.e. I can't go shopping at this time because baby will be sleeping, but I can make sure I am ready and baby's bag is packed so we can walk out the door when baby wakes up)
    With Kaylee I set a limit - I have never let her nap past 5:30. I gently wake her up by turning on some music, turning on her light, etc. Even if she wakes up tired, she is rested and not cranky, and she will go to bed at 7:30 and sleep all night.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Some kids will lay down anywhere and go to sleep when they are tired. My brother did it.

My kids, however, are NOT like that. Well, my son has fell asleep on the floor before, but not often.

My DD is 4 and she doesn't usually nap, but I do make her lay down and rest every day... the same time I lay DS down, who is 2.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We have naptime, that I scheduled. With my youngest son it's a little fluid because he's still so young (9 months) - some days he goes down at 1, somedays not until 2, I wait until he's showing signs of being tired. When my older 3 were little, naptime was at a set time and they had to lay down for at least an hour, in their beds. My boys took naps until they turned 5 and went to kindergarten. My daughter stopped going to sleep when she was 4, and I was a single mom at the time - i used to lay on the couch with her after preschool and let her watch a movie until time to go pick up her brothers from school (it ended up being like 1 1/2, and at least she was resting)

Answer by missanc at 1:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2009