food

The doc said we could startd out daughter on rice cereal and once she gets the hang of that, then food...but im scared! How do you introduce it? does she still breastfeed then? Like BF then eat a thing of fruit or veggies? Im confused...She is 4 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First off, if you don't want to start solids yet, or don't feel that she's ready, you don't have to; the doctor's just saying her age is ok for that. But when you do introduce solids, you'll have to find what works for you. Some babies take right to it and want the solids first and then they'll breastfeed to fill themselves up afterwards. Some babies won't take the strange food on spoon thing at first and will want to breastfeed some first to take the edge off so they don't get too frustrated. You can try it both ways and see what works best. But either way, you definitely still want to breastfeed; breast milk should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year, with solids being more for variety and practice than anything else.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Since you're breastfeeding make sure you breastfeed before solids all the way until the first birthday. And I wouldn't start until 6 months. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html There's why.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• At four months, nursing should still be her PRIMARY source of nutrients, and the odds of her eating an entire container of food are slim to none.
    Maybe a tablespoon at most.

this is more of a taste and practice time for you both.

Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• you will want to start with Rice cereal first... (we held our DS off till 6 mos and plan to do the same with DD) but closer to liquid form... mix it with some Expressed Breast Milk... the EBM will make it easier and more familiar and since rice cereal doesnt have much of a taste... she might want to take some off of your finger before off a spoon... but there is no need to rush her onto solids... if she is still fine with just nursing then I would say stick with that... I mean you can offer a little cereal daily... but no more than a single shot glass full... (lol thats what DH and I used to measure DS's cereal at first)
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Starting babies on solids younger than 4 months increases the risk of diabetes...it's recommended to wait until 6 months...if you're BFing, that's the ONLY thing that she SHOULD have...if you want to give solids, then do so ONLY after baby has done all the breastfeeding....that needs to be the main source of nutrition until 9 months to a year old....and rice cereal is NOT needed ever...it's full of nothing but a bunch of empty calories....if you really want to continue breastfeeding, then I would do that for a few more months...when a lot of babies start solids, sometimes they don't want to nurse as much....not always, but sometimes.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• The AAP and WHO DO NOT recommend starting a breastfed baby on ANYTHING except breast milk for 6 months or longer so I would hold off. My children did not like the cereal or pureed food no matter how much I tried so I just quit and around 9 months started giving them small pieces of whatever was on our plates for meals. If you are going to start the cereal then it is recommended to nurse BEFORE giving the solids. They are only for practice right now and breast milk should be the main source of nutrition until at least 12 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I started my bf boy on cereal at 3 1/2 months. I put about a tsp with 3-4 oz bm. (It looked as thin as milk.) I started feeding him it with a spoon like they recommend. He didn't like the rice cereal. He got frustrated very quickly as he wouldn't eat much by spoon so I had him finish it in a medium flow bottle. At a little over 4 months we have started him on veggies. He loves them. We just feed it to him with a little rubber coated spoon and give him his own spoon to play with/get used to it. He eats about 1/4-1/2 small jar 1xday. We give him the same food for 4 days so we can monitor for any allergic reaction. Every mom/book/dr has different advise for feeding babies. I listen to most people, do the research and then make my own decision on what I feel is best for my LO. In most cases, no one knows better than you.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2009