Clueless Parenting?

This is going to sound bad, but how do I tell my Dh that he is clueless when it comes to his kids? I don't know, maybe it's his age, he's 28 and probably not totally mature, as it takes men forever in that department it seems.
I feel like I am always having to tattle on the kids to him or tell him how to approach things. His daughters are 12 and 11, and he doesn't check up on their grades, who they are going out with, their computers, phones etc. He is a very loving dad, but it seems like he thinks they are still in that little innocent stage and that the world is completely safe for them so he doesn't have to monitor anything.
It's concerning me and I don't want to seem like a evil stepmother or a horrible nag, how do I talk to him about this and maybe get him to change?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont think hes clueless, I think hes scared. I went through this. I was literally terrified to follow up because I was afraid of what I might find. It doesnt help to bury your head in the sand and I finally got past it. Just encourage him to check their cell phone records. They seem a bit young for cell phones anyway, but we have them too. Our girls are 15 and 11. Whom do they go out with that he doesnt know? OTher than supervised friend visits, they shouldnt ever be with anyone you dont know. I always have to meet the parent before allowing my kids to go anywhere. My teen is not allowed to date so thats not a problem here. Dont make it seem like youre instructing him, just say, hey, did you see their grades yet? They did so good, or have you ever thought to check their messages? Make it seem like a thought that just came to you. Seriously, I think hes just scared.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Just tell him the world isn't always a good place and he needs to make sure the girls are safe. If that doesn't work then I guess it's your job or that of bio mom

Answer by admckenzie at 1:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009