Dying of malnutrition while being hospitilized?

Before you hold up the UK's NHS as a sterling example of universal healthcare, you might want to read this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1210109/Prisoners-better-diet-Health-Service-hospital-patients-scientists-warn.html

Patients in Health Service hospitals are far more likely to go hungry than criminals in jail, scientists warned yesterday.

They say frail and elderly patients do not get the help they need with meals, and nobody checks whether they get enough to eat.

Despite years of Government promises to tackle poor hospital nutrition, food still arrives cold, and patients often miss out because meal times clash with tests and operations.

The latest figures show 242 patients died of malnutrition in NHS hospitals in 2007 - the highest toll in a decade. More than 8,000 left hospital under-nourished - double the figure when Labour came to power.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is really sad. My mother is in a nursing home, and they assign a person to sit next to her and encourage her to eat. The meals are nutritious, tasty. and always served warm.  Without someone to sit beside my mom and encouraging her, she wouldn't eat.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Wow that is unbelievable. WHy aren't hey being sued?
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I dunno. Can you sue the government?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Truly horrible. Also, where are their families? When my step dad goes in, we take shifts.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• ditto for Medicare. The government run health system for the elderly in our country is just as bad. If an elderly person who only has Medicare has to go to a nursing home, the care can be just as bad. Go visit a nursing home and see for yourself. The trays of food that just get put in rooms, and then picked up again - uneaten. The poor overworked social worker trying to get everyone everything needed but bumping heads against government red tape. Then, picture that problem being transferred to the hospitals we are all use to going to and being treated like a paying customer. We will be treated like a bothersome leech. Go. See for yourself. I learned so much when my MIL was in/out these facilities so much in the past year. We were lucky. She had BC/BS. Others don't. It was the PRIVATE insurance that got her good care. Not the government Medicare.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• "If an elderly person who only has Medicare has to go to a nursing home, the care can be just as bad. Go visit a nursing home and see for yourself. The trays of food that just get put in rooms, and then picked up again - uneaten."

I'm glad to say it isn't like that where my mom lives. Everyone eats in the dining room (not a cafeteria) and the staff is always present. They log how much everyone is eats each meal. If someone isn't eating, like my mom, they assign a special person to sit with them and encourage them. If they can't eat unassisted, they assign a special person to help them eat.

P.S. You are probably thinking of Medicaid, not Medicare. Medicare only covers rehab in a nursing home. Medicaid covers long-term stays. My mom is currently on Medicaid after paying out of pocket for a few years.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Every hospital system has problems. I've lived in the UK and the US and used both systems and they both suck in their own special ways. I've had more luck with the US system but I do have good insurance so I haven't experienced trying to get health care with little or no insurance.

The NHS mostly suffers from a lack of funding. My grandfather died in a NHS hospital due to inadequate care; his dressings were not changed and his surgery site became badly infected. There were also issues with awful food (I once had some pork in a hospital that was at least 90% inedible bone and gristle) and dangerous levels of cost cutting. One time when my grandfather was in hospital they had someone come round to shave all the men. They use the disposable plastic Bics but instead of using one for each man they'd shave 6 men with the same razor. So dangerous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• mancosmamma
    http://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/07/medicare-vs-medicaid.asp
    Medicare and Medicaid are 2 entirely different programs. One is for the elderly and one poor. Check out the link.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Medicare and Medicaid are 2 entirely different programs. One is for the elderly and one poor.

many elderly and disabled who are on medicare qualify for medicaid as well. Medicaid pays what medicare doesn't and covers their premiums.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• P.S. You are probably thinking of Medicaid, not Medicare.

At the nursing home my mother was in until she died, they didn't segregate them. There was one wing for medicare, medicaid and dementia patients, and the rest of the building for the cash/private insurance patients. My mother was there because of dementia. She was not allowed to let her roommate see the tv or use her phone because the gov't wouldn't pay for it. The nurse to patient ratio on that wing was double the regular wings. The doctor would literally hide from family to avoid asking questions. While they were denying my mother her medication because she didn't ask for it (Hello - dementia!) they were having lavish buffets for the residents in the other wings. The contrast between the two sides was nearly criminal, and this was considered the "best" phys rehab/nursing home in Chicagoland. That is the difference made by gov't care.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009