Was Jesus a Magician?

I'm just asking as a general question, not to ruffle feathers or for others to bash here. But it seems to me that he was somewhat of a magician, technically speaking. He turned water into wine, walked on water, raised the dead. I am in no way mocking the Christian faith. I'm just asking a simple question.

In your own words, how do you explain the things that he did. I realize according to the stories of the bible that he was half man half son of God, i get that part. I'm just wondering if you would consider this magic or just a supernatural occurence. I only ask because someone I know who is not christian thought of him as a great healer, teacher and magician.

Your thoughts?

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 1:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If Jesus did the things the bible says he did than he was a magician.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• No He walked in the supernatural realm. Magicians do not tap into the Kingdom of Heaven.
    It was all a supernatural occurrence, something we can walk in today.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Jesus is the son of God, not a magician. The bible forbids us to have anything to do with magic, witchcraft or psychics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Catholic veiwpoint: Jesus could perform miracles under his own authority because he was God.

Catholics do not believe Jesus was half-man half-god, but that he was fully human and fully God. Two natures in one Person.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think it all depends on your perspective & Shaneagle777's is an interesting perspective. Are you saying that people could preform those acts now under the right circumstances?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• He was a Wizard. He went to Hogwarts and was a Prefect in Hufflepuff House...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• IDK that he even existed. My opinion is that true magic is, in and of itself, a supernatural occurrence. He was in essence a psychic healer who used witchcraft or magic. But because he was the supposed son of god that makes it ok. Anyone else who does the exact same thing is evil. ( Insert eye roll for sarcasm.)  I don't want to call him a magician, because I associate them as humans using sleight of hand and such to trick the eye. Not true magic.  If he lived I would view him as a great humanitarian and psychic healer.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It is an ancient practice to show "signs" and "wonders" to encourage people to stay true to the gods of their land or the king that the gods had put into place. An example of this is the magicians in pharoah's court when Moses was negotiating the release of the Hebrew people. The difference between magic and supernatural ability is seen in that instance as the magicians could not produce the same signs as Moses could through God. When asked by Pharoah to explain Moses' signs, the magicians admited that Moses' signs were performed by the mere "finger of God." Refering to signs that they could not reproduce as coming from God's finger signifies they understood how powerful God was (imagine what God could do with his whole hand! Psalm 98:1 says God has worked out our salvation with his right hand and mighty arm).

We can say the same about Jesus' miracles. This was not mere magic but the supernatural (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I imagine the same scenario would have one on between Jesus and a magician (if one had been present) as the supernatural trumping magic as Moses and the magicians of Pharoah's court.

I believe also that Jesus is fully God, fully man. Moses was an instrument of God's power for Pharoah and Jesus commanded God's power as God himself for his miracles.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• 2autisticsmom, that's not necessarily true. Healing, "Seeing," and other supernatural signs are only "evil" to Christians if the power/information source is not God. Christians believe that we are to rely on power and information from God only. Many Christians have the gift of healing (and even sight and foreknowledge). Some people take this more literally than others and experience the gift more literally. My gift of healing, is the compassion I feel for the sick, the intercession I make for the sick and the physical healing I see many of them receive where they report they know they were being prayed for or touched by God. Jesus, as God, healed under the authority of God's power and not any other. Certainly not the same power as someone who does not serve God.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2009