RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE KEEPING GAY COUPLES FROM ADOPTING?

THE CHILDREN AND FAMILY DEPARTMENT CLAIMS THAT THEY LOOK OUT FOR THE WELFARE OF THE CHILDREN, YET IN FLORIDA GAYS ARE ALLOWED TO FOSTER BUT NOT ALLOWED TO ADOPT. A MALE COUPLE WERE FOSTERING THESE TWO YOUNG BLACK LITTLE BOYS FOR OVER FIVE YEARS, THEY CREATED A BOND THEY DON'T WANT TO BREAK AND ARE APPEALING THE LAW SO THEY CAN ADOPT THEM. SO IF THIS DEPARTMENT OF CF IS LOOKING OUT FOR THEIR WELFARE AND THEY THINK A GAY COUPLE IS NOT GOOD FOR ANY KIDS WHY LET THEM FOSTER? IS THE RELIGIOUS BASE FOR THIS NATION KEEPING CHILDREN FROM BEING DOPTED BY WILLING GAY COUPLES? HOW IS THIS LOOKING OUT FOR THE CHILDS BEST INTEREST?

Asked by older at 1:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Excellent points. If all sins are equal like many christians say, then shall we start denying all adoptions since "everyone is a sinner"? I'm probably over simplifying, but still.

My sister and her wife (yes they're married thanks to the progressive state of CT) are incredible parents. They make sure their children are given every opportunity available. My sister makes a ton of money at her job and Lisa is a SAHM to their 3 kids. They even (gasp!) raise their children in the church - the same religion that officially rejects their family as an abomination. I still haven't figured out if that's cool of them or just crazy...lol. My point is that they're better parents than most heteros I know. If we're going to start denying parental rights based on who is "biblically correct" I'd like to see some christians put their lives under the microscope to see how they measure up. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think that's wrong, to let them foster a child for so long and not allow them to adopt. I don't understand how that's any better than ripping a child from their parents for no reason? In fact it practically is that.

I know that adoption's more permanent GENERALLY than fostering. But in cases like this they basically adopted them anyway. How can the state not let them adopt but to foster for such long periods of time?

Personally I think they can be as good a parents as any straight couples and it's ridicculous.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 1:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• IS THE RELIGIOUS BASE FOR THIS NATION KEEPING CHILDREN FROM BEING DOPTED BY WILLING GAY COUPLES? yes

HOW IS THIS LOOKING OUT FOR THE CHILDS BEST INTEREST? it isn't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• That does appear to be a double standard.... Wow....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• This prejudice ends up costing us tax payers a lot of money. Think about it in foster care the foster parents receive a check (not a lot I understand) the kids medical is covered by the state, the children get clothing allowance and such (again I know not a lot) And while they may not cover a lot of money for all this per child it adds up. Where as if the parents adopt them the state is off the hook. I always find it odd that a lot of the people screaming about how horrible it is to let gay people adopt are a lot of the same ones that whine about taxes and food stamp programs. A lot of people if allowed to adopt the kids they are already fostering would no longer receive those benefits.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• The family structure was never meant to be designed this way. That is mostly why they are not allowing this. There is a reason it is supposed to be a Father AND a Mother to be raising a family.
    It is not healthy for the child to be raised in a same sex home. How do they get the nurturing they need from a father or a mother? Yes Older I am a Christian as you know and I do not agree with children being raised this way. How do they explain where babies come from to a child like that?
    You cannot make a baby unless it is a Mother and a Father coming together. So when a child asks then looks at their same sex parents.. how do they explain???? That is what confuses children.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Is the religous base keeping this from happening.. I hope so... is it in the childs best interest.. yes. My reasoning why is said in previous post.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You cannot make a baby unless it is a Mother and a Father coming together

Sure you can. All it takes is a turkey baster and a willing volunteer.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• SHANE, IN TODAYS SOCIETY, MOST CHILDREN I KNOW LIVE WITHOUT A FATHER OR A MOTHER, BECAUSE THE SO CALL SANTITY OF MARRIAGE HAS GONE OUT THE WINDOW AND A LOT OF CHILDREN ARE TOSSED AROUND BETWEEN THE SO CALL MOTHER AND FATHER LIKE FOOTBALL, HOW IS THIS FOR A TSRUCTURE FAMILY WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT A COUPLE OF THE SAME SEX CANNOT PROVIDE THE NURTURING A CHILD NEEDS, STUDIES HAVE SHOWN TIME AND TIME AGAIN THAT THIS THEORY OF YOURS IS HOG WASH.
    YOU EXPLAIN WHERE BABIES COME FROM THE SAME WAY YOU EXPLAIN IT TO EVERY OTHER CHILDREN, THE PROCESS DOES NOT CHANGE AT ALL. A BABY CAN BE MADE THROUGH ARTIFICIAL INSEMINATION, AND OTHER RESOURCES.
    WHAT CONFUSES THE CHIDREN IS PEOPLE WHO BELEIVE THAT NURTURING ONLY COMES FROM THE COUPLE OF THE DIFFERENT SEX. GO ASK THOSE TWO LITTLE BOYS AGES 8 AND 9 HOW THEY FEEL ABOUT THEIR TWO MALE FOSTER PARENTS, CHILDREN DON'T LIE OR HAVE PREJUDICE THE ONLY NECESSARY THING FOR CHILDREN TO CONT...

Answer by older at 2:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• GROW IS LOVE , AND THIS MALE COUPLE HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO HELP THOSE BOYS DEVELOP INTO WONDERFUL WELL ADJUSTED ADULTS.
    IF THIS IS SO WRONG WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED TO FOSTER? WHY PUT THEM IN HARMS WAY? AREN'T THEY LOOKING OUT FOR THE CHILDS WELFARE? IT IS ALL BECAUSE IT IS A FARCE, THEY KNOW DAM WELL THAT SAME SEX COUPLES CAN BE JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN ANY HETEROSEXUAL COUPLE TODAY!

Answer by older at 2:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009