Can they arrest you for this?

Okay I love a man in uniform most of the time lol, but some police officers really drive me nuts.
I got stopped a few days ago for speeding, I turned my license and registration to the officer, I was only going 5 over the limit and going with the flow of traffic, this guy didn't care. So I argued with him and told him he was being a jerk and I refused to sign the little slip he gave me, he told me if I didn't change my attitude he was taking me downtown, can they even arrest you for being rude and disrepectful, or was he just trying to scare me?
Anyone else had bad run-ins with traffic stops?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• NO they cant but he can say he took u in for something else they always do that. also if u dont sign they can take u in for something not quite sure what.. i think they can take ur licence
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yes, I do believe you could get arrested for that. I can't remember what they call it...but it's something to do with harrassing or resisting or something?? Anyway, if you tick them off enough they will come up with some excuse to make your life miserable. :)
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 1:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• disorderly conduct lol....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i would not want to be the one person that pushing the envelope to find out
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• probably just to scare you, but if you went further and cursed at him (like hardcore cursing and threatening) or physically acted out, he could arrest you for disorderly conduct.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• YES, they can. YOU were going over the speed limit and you saying that you were just going with the flow of traffic is stupid and not an excuse. People like you piss me off. You were rude and there was no need to be.  You can be arrested for disorderly and for refusing to sign. You signing the ticket doesn't admit guilt if you READ.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You can't be arrested for refusing to sign genius anon poster above me. But you could be arrested for disorderly conduct if you continued to verbally abuse (yes he would have said that was what you were doing!) him. He could even say you became combative. Play it cool next time, if you don't think you deserved the ticket, don't sign it, keep your mouth shut and show up in court prepared to fight it! But in all honesty, you would probably lose because you were over the speed limit. I've seen people try to use the "flow of traffic" excuse and it's never worked!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• OMGosh have I! I admit, I was in the wrong though, well, ish. Here's what happened: I was going seventy in a sixty, and got pulled over. i had no license but was coming home with dd from ER while dh was deployed(no other ride and dd was sick). So the trooper pulls me over. i tell him straight up I had no license and explained why I was driving anyways. He started yelling at me, cursing at me, spittle flying from his mouth onto my face, then called CPS to come take my dd from me. Well, I called my mom, who had food poisoning, and she and Daddy(also food poisoning) come rolling up right before CPS. As soon as Daddy gets there, the trooper was nice as pie, all sweet and saying he called CPS b/c it was procedure and he was really laying it on thick. Well, CPS pulls up and tells the cop he had no reason to call them, my dd was fine and I broke a traffic law, not any ones they were concerned with. He let Daddy drive me and
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• When you sign a ticket you are signing a promise to appear, in lieu of being arrested. If you refuse to sign the ticket, the cop has to bring you down to the courthouse to be arraigned immediately. You can be detained until a judge is available, then you are brought in front of him to plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead guilty you are found guilty and given a fine. If you plead innocent, then a date is set for your trial.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my car home, with mom following. Did I mention I could see my apartment from where I was pulled over? When I lodged a complaint with the State troopers(I was smart and while crying hysterically, I pushed record on my cell) he came to my house in Civvies, and when I opened the door, he pushed his way inside and put his hand through a wall while yelling at me again! I was holding dd at the time(she was only 6 months old)
    I called the cops and let them hear him screaming. When they showed up, he had of course left, so they said since they didn't see it, I was making it up--even with the ginormous hole his fist had made in the drywall!
    And ppl wonder why I hate cops!!!
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2009