Homework time :)

This is this week's discussion from PoR class. I put it up this morning and don't think I'll see many answers there until later in the week. Interested to see if they differ from what comes up here.

If it is stipulated that God (Abrahamic God) is omnipotent and eternal, that means he cannot learn, because there is nothing he doesn't already know. If he cannot learn, can he experience the feeling of discovery?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sorry I can't help you. My brain imploded from the question and the first reply.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Ah tricky one because he is meant to be omnipotent, which means able to do anything right? If he is able to do anything then how on earth is he not able to do something, i.e. discovery? So surely it's a huge contradiction in itself. So he must be able to discover, yet he seems not to be able to.

Huh, ow. My brain hurts lol.

mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 2:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• *icky brain goo 'splodes everywhere*

O.O
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• wow...what class is this?!

okay first thought. its not that he CANT learn, but that he doesnt NEED to learn. since he is omnipotent & knows everything then he must know what it feels like to discover things, although he has never experienced it.

im very interested to see the other responses...b/c im not even sure that my answer makes sense haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• "Can God create a stone that is too heavy for him to lift?" These are the kinds of questions that make me believe that a personified deity does not make much sense!

Logically if God is already omnipotent, there is nothing left to learn. But if God is capable of everything, he must be capable of new discovery. It's a logical paradox. Ow. My head hurts.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Ah but who's to say He doesn't learn. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Wow . . .
    What a paradox . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Because then Shaneagle, learning would suggest he makes mistakes to learn from, and if he's omnipotent, he can't do that.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Just because you've learned something doesn't mean you can't experience the joy and beauty of it over and over again. God has all wisdom...But He takes delight in sharing it with His creation.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 4:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• wow...what class is this?!
    Philosophy of Religion, it's interesting because there's only 11 people in it, but the religious background still splits about like this section in terms of atheist/christian/other
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009