What do you do with books?

My 16 month old has tons of books. He likes to pull them off the shelves. I want him to be able to look at them whenever but I'm tired of constantly putting them back on the shelves.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I leave them on the floor, and every week or so, have him help me put them back on the shelves.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Put a small amount of books (4-5) on a low shelf where they can be reached and put the rest out of reach. Rotate the books on a regular basis so he always has some that haven't been "read" in a while. But I'm like you, I love for my son to have access to books - I hope he enjoys reading as much as mommy and daddy!

Answer by missanc at 2:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My daughter went through a stage of pulling the books of the shelf, but it only lasted a little while. I suspect if you can tolerate it a while longer, he'll outgrow that stage, too.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I know what you mean. My 14 month old does the same thing. I have a basket that I put in the living room for her books. That way it's easy for her to get them and easy for me to clean them up. Although, this has helped in teaching her to clean them up also.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I was going to say try a basket, too. That's also how many libraries corral board books.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• our almst 2yr baby used to do the same so i decided to put them on the old toybox - next to the toy box on the living room so makes it easier for me to clean them up when the kids make their messes. or i make the 2 older boys who are 4 and 5 pick them up when mommy gets tired of picking thm up :D
    20_mama_3

Answer by 20_mama_3 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Make him pick them up. Once a day (or several times a day, like before naps or whatever) tell him it's time to pick up and have him help put the books back on the shelves. He's at a perfect age to start teaching him chores and caring for his things.
    I'll tell you it doesn't stop. My 3yo still pulls half her books off her shelves and I'm constantly telling her to go pick them up. heck, I have to tell my older kids to pick their books up at least once a week and they are 9, 7 and 6.
    Personally I would also cull back the books. Just leave like 10 or so of his favorite books for now and maybe rotate them once a month. Keep the rest in the closet until he is older so there is less to pick up. I noticed the more stuff my kids have the bigger the mess and they don't even play with half of it. Less is better.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We have 2 shelfs for books.. the bottom shelf is for books she can play with & the higher shelf is for books only I read to her.. I would just keep a few on that shelf & rotate them out occasionally & put the rest on a higher shelf.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We used rubbermaid bins for books, and just set them on the floor. We ended up with about 20, at the high point.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009