breast feeding

did anyone formula feed with their first child and thinks they may want to breast feed with their second? how well did it work or did you go back to formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Only breast for me (7 years straight now!!).
    Would you like some help and/or info?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i try bf my first but had problems so i ff. and i regret it so much.
    now with my ds he has latching problems so i been pumping for 6 mts. yes is hard but no maater what i want to give my baby the best!! i iwould give anythign in the world to turn back time and to be able to give my first born more bm then waht she got( i pumped for 2 mts)
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• piwife~ are you going to La Leche meetings? Are you getting some in-person professional help?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• the closes la leche league is 1 hour away. so i cant . here is waht happen at the hospital ds latch on like a pro- he loved it so much he was eating every hour, for the first 2 days. once we got home he stop. i didn want him getting nipple confuisng so i stared giving him colostrum with a syringe. my milk came in at 4 days old. i try latching him on and sometimes he would but not all the time. so dh bought me a pump and well i gave him a bottle of bm. when ds was almost 2 weeks old i bough a nipple shield and he was good except that he was eating so often(i guess it was blocking some of the milk) i was so tired. at around 2 mts i found a lactaion consultant. i had been both pumping and latching on with the shield. and she got him off but 3 dyas later he refused teh breast and ever since he wont latch on. what sucks now is that my milk supply is going down and am so scared, i used to pump 6-8 oz every 4 hrs now i can only
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• 3-4 oz between both. am taking fernugreek and drinking lots of water buti dont know what else to do!! my goal is one year. yes pumping sucks but is for my lil man!! he hates formula i try it and he gags
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My first child was breastfed for 2 weeks. I wanted to do it for a whole year but we had a lot of problems and it did not work out. He is now formula-fed and he is doing well. I plan on trying to breastfeed with my second child because sometimes it works better with the other baby. I'm going to give it a shot.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 2:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My first child wouldnt latch on and had such low blood sugar level at birth that I had to either give him formula or give him an IV so of course i chose formula. I continued to attempt to get him to latch on for 2 days but then I had to have surgery on the 3rd day and had to pump and toss for 24 hours to get rid of the IV meds I had received. After I did that, I pumped for 4 months and he was exclusively given the breastmilk, only it was thru a bottle. And TRUST ME, I tried and tried to get him to latch on from 4 days old to 2 weeks and it just wasnt happening (I had a HUGE nipple, he was tiny and he was a lazy sucker and would fall asleep)

When my DD was born 2 1/2 years later, she latched on within moments of birth! I breastfed her exclusively for 10 weeks before going back to work, meanwhile pumping enough milk to get her by til she was 5 months in daycare. Then she had formula at daycare & was bf til 13 mo with me
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• piwife, did you ever meet with a lactation specialist or consultant? Latch is a very common problem, and most of the time, having a professional observe and help can make a HUGE difference! It's not too late!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2009