Itching and dairy? Food allergy?

Everytime I drink milk or eat something with butter..cheese or yogurt my throat gets all itchy, sore, and kind of swollen inside. I also have to clear my throat a few times so I could talk properly ONLY when this happens.

Is this a food allergy? or does it have to do with me being pregnant - having an intolerance to milk and dairy?

Lulu_101

Asked by Lulu_101 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Health

• It sounds like an intollerance to dairy/milk. You could try lactose free milk or soy milk. Around my house 2 of us have to drink soy because of a milk allergy because we get all itchy on our arms/legs and it upsets our tummys if we drink regular milk. It can manifest differently in other people, such as what you are talking about, though. Talk to your doc and see what they say.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I agree with mom2BOYZn dad,thats how it is here. me and my daughter drink that lactose free milk. My daughter would get really itchy and me well I had other gross symptoms..
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 2:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• stop consuming dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 3:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Since it happens with ALL dairy, you need to STOP eating it NOW and go see your doctor. If your throat swells too much you could you know, DIE. You should have an Epi pen to carry with you. Allergies can pop up at ANY TIME in your life. I was allergic to cucumber when I was pregnant with my DD, I think I still am, but I wasn't before her.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• FYI, lactose intolerance is NOT the same as a dairy allergy. A lactose issue would be intestinal symptoms where as an allergy could be a rash, trouble breathing, itchy skin or a whole mess of other things.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Professional singers and speakers avoid dairy because even in people who have no trouble digesting it, it causes extra mucus production, which alters the voice.

If you haven't tried organic dairy, you could be reacting to any of the amazing selection of chemicals and hormones that are 'processes' so they don't need to be added to the labels of even 'fresh' liquid milk.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009