How old were your kids when they said their first words?

I know it varies, that's why I'm curious. :) How old were they and what did they say?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 2:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter said,dada at bout 7 mos and my son said mama when he was about 8-9 mos
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 2:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My son was 6 months old and said "duck." Well, ok, it did sound more like "Duh" but trust me, he was going for duck. LOL! He *only* said it when in the tub and reaching for his favorite rubber duckie bath toy.

My daughter was also about 6 months old and she said "Mama." Yes, this is often just one of those babbling things that sounds like a word and I did wonder about it at first. However, she ONLY used it when she saw me enter a room, when she wanted me to do something for her (pick her up, hold her, feed her, etc) or when she couldn't see me and wanted me. A week or so of hearing it on that limited basis and we decided it was safe to call it a word. LOL! Her second word came a few weeks later. She said "Baba" for brother. She adores her brother. LOL!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My son was 7mo old when he said "mama" for the first time. He said "dada" about 7mo too. But now he only says "mama" and refuses to say "dada" anymore. He is going to be 9mo on sept 8th.
    BrettMommy08

Answer by BrettMommy08 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my son said "dada" at about 6mos or so....said "mama" and "baba" around 7mos-ish...I think.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My youngest said 'Hi, Da' at 3 months... it was only really funny because she said it while looking at her dad. Of course, it was the last sensible thing she said utnil she was much closer to a year, but it was so cute! A total accident, I'm sure.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009