How do you get your child to sleep in there own bed?

My son is 5 years old and still sleeps with me. I can not get him to sleep in his own bed for anything? He tells me that he is not old enough. He is also afraid of the dark.

Asked by soshie at 4:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Never had this issue, but can you try leaving the lights on? Also if he is afraid of monsters or something you can make your own spray with essential oils like lavender and stuff and tell him its monster spray and will keep all that he is afraid of away. Hope you can get him there soon. Good Luck.

Answer by linnea143 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• you could let him fall to sleep in your bed then move him to his bed with a nightlight and a special stuffed toy

Answer by momofcsg at 5:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Start using a consistent bedtime schedule. Bath, book, bedtime, whatever. Ours, for example is brushing teeth, changing into pajamas (bath every other night), stories, kisses, bedtime. My children are allowed to "read" in bed for a little while before lights out. My children are also afraid of the dark, so we have nightlights and we leave the door open with the hall light on.

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 5:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i would have my child go pick out an awesome night-light, and say this will help the angels watch over him while he sleeps.

Answer by dannersmell at 6:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We "personalized" our kids' rooms. Let them pick what theme they wanted in their room and then have decorated it accordingly. So now they are excited to sleep in their room. My son gets excited to go to bed now cause we put glow in the dark stars on the walls and ceiling and he has a moon light on the wall, that he only gets to see glow in the dark at night time. So now he loves going to bed.

Answer by crazymomma05 at 1:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I let my son sleep in his room with the tv on and also his closet light, but when I know he is in a deep sleep I turn them both off before I go to bed.

Answer by Sexymom75 at 6:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my 6 year old goes to bed with dad every night and I put him to his own bed when I go to bed. When dad goes to work at 4 AM, my boy always comes back to sleep with me. As of right now I figure enjoy the fact that he wants to be with us and when he gets older he'll just grow out of it and not want to sleep with us anymore

Answer by merbear02 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My 5 yr DD will go to bed in her own bed - we had developed a bed routine while she was really young and still stick to it. However, she will about 4-5 times a week come in to our room between 12-2 am and snuggle into bed. We have 2 nightlights in her room. It doesn't bother us so I just let her do it. She'll stop when she's older.

Answer by gmkamm at 4:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• If you figure out how to keep you kids in their own bed let me know! My 5 yr old sleeps in a sleeping bag at the end of our bed. He used to come in the middle of the night but now has started coming out of his room while we are still up and telling us to go to bed so that he can come in our room.

Answer by sweetmelisdym at 9:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2008

• My children have night lights and a radio in thier rooms. We turn on the radio to thier favorite station, than the light. Than I lay in bed with them for a bit, read a story and relax, after about 15-20 minutes I kiss and hug them and tell them goodnight. Sometimes they stil venture into my room, when they do even if it is 3 am I get up take them back to thier room, lay in the bed with them and tell them they need to sleep in thier own bed. It may take a few nights of lack of sleep, but eventually mine got the point. They still try to come sleep in my bed, but every time I send them back to thier own bed. You could try the tv, we did that also, it worked but with my older two we took them out to get them used to no tv at bed. So maybe till they get used to that routine.

Answer by soldierswifeof4 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2008