WIC question

If you are on WIC should you be trying to get pregnant for another baby?

I'm just curious as to what WIC is or I guess how it works...is it the same as food stamps? Like does it come out of us taxpayers $$? or no?

MrsPilat

Asked by MrsPilat at 3:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont know. you cant afford milk, cerial, eggs, juice, beans, or anything? why have kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Here's what I got from a website:

The WIC target population are low-income, nutritionally at risk:
    Pregnant women (through pregnancy and up to 6 weeks after birth or after pregnancy ends).
    Breastfeeding women (up to infant’s 1st birthday)
    Nonbreastfeeding postpartum women (up to 6 months after the birth of an infant or after pregnancy ends)
    Infants (up to 1st birthday). WIC serves 45 percent of all infants born in the United States.
    Children up to their 5th birthday

The following benefits are provided to WIC participants:
    Supplemental nutritious foods
    Nutrition education and counseling at WIC clinics
    Screening and referrals to other health, welfare and social services
    WIC is not an entitlement program as Congress does not set aside funds to allow every eligible individual to participate in the program. WIC is a Federal grant program for which Congress authorizes a specific amount of fund
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I don't think the beginning of my question was necessary...i'm just curious what WIC is.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• WIC is a supplemental food program offered by each state to help women, infants, and children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• And it does come out of the taxpayer's check, however, if one is working and paying toward those taxes but still struggling then they should be allowed to get it.

I don't know about the beginning of your question. Its really none of my business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• its free food. alot of welfare people go and get on it b/c it simply free. they dont care about it being healthy blah blah.. its free.
    Anonymous

• wow...another wic question. probably so people can bash on those of us who receive wic. well, I lost my husband in Iraq. I am also a military member. I work 12-14 hours a day and don't get paid enough for what I do. I don't get foodstamps but I do get wic for my 2 kids since now I am a single parent. Bash away if you want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My DH works hard owning his own business, but we are honest with WIC at how much we earn and we still qualify for a family of 5. When we no longer qualify then we won't need it anymore. But for now it helps keep our kids healthy by being able to get cerial, milk,eggs, juice, cheese, PB, and soon fruit and veggies will be avail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm sorry sweetheart this isn't to bash you ...all I asked what WIC was...not WHY you are on it...I could care less, you don't have to prove anything to me.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I get wic. My hubby works. We dont qualify for foodstamps but we do qualify for wic. Its a good program they help with milk,cheese,juice,eggs,cereal. They also offer nutrional classes and health screenings its for Women,Infants and Children. I think its a good program,Im not sure how it is funded but my man works and pays taxes so...
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 3:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2009