Obamacare vs Pro-choice

I'm asking this anonymously because I know someone is going to get themselves all offended by the implication here. :) That said, I'm completely serious about this question and not asking just to be a wise ass.

It seems to me that supporters of the proposed health care plan trend toward those that classify themselves as "liberal" and/or "democrat." People self-identifying with these labels are also often pro-choice. (Not all, I understand, but a large #.) Can you explain to me how you rationalize the following:

A major pro-choice argument is "It's my body the government has no right to tell me what I can and can't do with it." Right? Then why is it acceptable for the government to take over our health care (insurance) and be responsible for saying what will and will not be funded through that program -- and thereby saying what treatments we can and can do FOR our bodies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• OP Here - Gdiamante - yeah, I get it. This is how the system already runs. EXCEPT it's NOT run by the government. ;) So if we're pushing for reform does that mean reforming what's wrong with our current system instead of just letting the government take it on? Ok, know that I'm at least in part facetious on this one.

Anon9:15 - sorry, I'm not buying "the gov. already pays for..." argument. Let's consider for a omen the post office in your example. The post office that is so financially screwed it's looking to cut hours of service per week and continually raises it's rates yet STILL operates at a deficit. Is this REALLY the example of awesome government management we want to tie to a health care debate? Medicare has shortfall of expenses (relating to benefits) to income (relating to taxes) that hits the TRILLIONs. Again, is this really what we want for our health care? Good care isn't good care when it's bankrupt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I've wondered the same thing.. but i'll let you know why I never asked. It's obvious they will come in here saying "we're talking about CHOICES with our UTERUS' GOSH!" lol, everything else the government can own I guess. lmao.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I am typically very liberal. I am Pro-Choice! But i am strongly against the Obama version of socialized health care.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• GREAT question ...you should post under your actual name...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• OutstandingLove, you and are almost on the same page. ;) I'm actually moderate-to-slightly-right. I am, however, pro-choice and I am very much against this proposed health care reform legislation.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• mamakirs, having been visited in the ole chatter box in the past by offended responders, I'd rather not. ;) But thanks for the compliment and encouragement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• anyone going to take a stab at this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm pro-choice and I am for a single payer source as well as a national health care plan. A national health care plan doesn't tell me how to make my care decisions, it only makes it affordable and I have access now to resources that I might not have had other wise. I'm very comfortable with being pro-choice, very comfortable with supporting health care reform, and I am still proud to have voted for our current president.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Frogdawg, what is affordable? What are the premiums, co-pays, deductibles for Obama's HCR? What will be covered? Will there be a yearly cap? A lifetime cap?

I'm pro-choice. I want choices in my health care. I don't want to sign onto anything without knowing how much it will cost. The government hasn't decided what will be covered, what we will pay out of pocket, or how we will pay for more subsidized care.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• frogdawg
    Does this sound like choice?
    SEC. 1145. TREATMENT OF CERTAIN CANCER HOSPITALS.
    Section 1833(t) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1395l(t)) is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:
    `(18) AUTHORIZATION OF ADJUSTMENT FOR CANCER HOSPITALS-
    `(A) STUDY- The Secretary shall conduct a study to determine if, under the system under this subsection, costs incurred by hospitals described in section 1886(d)(1)(B)(v) with respect to ambulatory payment classification groups exceed those costs incurred by other hospitals furnishing services under this subsection (as determined appropriate by the Secretary).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2009