Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergic to the dog?

We got a puppy for our toddler two weeks ago and are now worried he might be allergic to her. My son has food allergies and went through numerous allergy tests and we were told by the specialist that he was allergic to cats, but dogs would be fine. He hasn't had any problems with the puppy until the last few days. He has been getting a slight rash whenever the dog licks him but is fine petting her. Has anyone heard of being allergic to an animal's saliva but not their dander?

Answer Question
 
Rachael420

Asked by Rachael420 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 3 (18 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • Could be your baby is just sensitive to the enzymes in the puppies mouth. They're pretty strong, so it's very possible it's the saliva and not the dander.
    milfalicious08

    Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

  • Oh yes I am one of those rare people. Just be careful and try to keep the puppy from licking the little guy! I know easier said then done, but it is completely possible to be allergic to the enzymes in the saliva and not the dander.
    aeneva

    Answer by aeneva at 8:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN