Kindergarten fundraising?

Kindergartners are being made to sell Innisbrook now? Seriously?

I like how I wasn't even given an option to donate the equivalent and opt-out in of sales. Do PTA groups even think about what it means for parents of multiple kids in the same grade bracket? Or parents of twins (like me)/triplets/etc?

And kindergartners? Really? Shouldn't they be more focused on learning the school process and getting reading fundamentals? Kindergartners don't really even understand what the door-to-door sales are all about, all mine see are cartoon characters on the Innisbrook packaging and me being a mean mommy for not letting them tear the wrapping paper samples out of the sales books.

WTF.

How have you guys coped with this kind of thing?

phoenix101

Asked by phoenix101 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They aren't MADE to do anything. It's a choice to do so or not. I have only chosen to sell candy bars because everyone seems to like them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Oh and we don't go door to door. We ask family and friends, no one else.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i sell a few things each year. Usually girl scout cookies and 1 thing for the school. I never go door to door for the school may ask a few family members. I tell my dd that we arent selling for the school, you dont HAVE to do it and I just send in $10 to the school and tell them to keep the stuff if I dont lke what they are selling.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I hear ya girl. I hate those fundraisers. They have some slick speaker come to the school then show the kids all these cool toys they will get if they sell their products. Push their products. Whatever happened to bake sales, car washes. Well, I did see a car wash this weekend. But, still, to use little kids to push a product, makes me sick. My son once thought he was going to get a bike just because he would sell something. I had to explain to him that that's not how it works. I usually send it back to school or throw it in the trash.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• At one school in my hometown kids were FORCED, it was mandatory to sell $100 dollars worth of product or the parents had to come up with a mandatory hundred dollar donation. That i thought was ridiculous. It was a private catholic school.

I have twins in kindergarten and just received a notice that they are having a fall festival and that baked goods would be appreciated. There's a ten dollar donation from vendors who would like to have a table set up for their wares(which I plan on doing as well).

I don't think they should expect kids to go door to door or even bother unsuspecting relatives with their fundraisers. Especially when they have cousins and siblings who are in the same school. Last year alone my mom spent close to sixty dollars buying all sorts of candy tins and wrapping paper from my four neices and one nephew. I mean really!

I prefer school carnivals or bake sales myself. Just seems more realistic.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It is crazy, but what really surprised me was the daycare fundraisers! I think I looked at my daycare provider like she was speaking a foreign language when she handed me the first fundraiser packet for my infant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I was told we get a fundraiser on the first day of PRESCHOOL!! I think that is a little over the top.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We don't do fundraisers. My kids go to a Catholic school and I refuse to sell crap. Luckily we didn't have to do any last year (someone donated a bunch of money to the school so they used that in lieu of fund-raising and it will be the same this year).
    We sometimes buy stuff if we have money but I refuse to hit up my friends and family when I know they are all in a bad place financially just like us. I just tell my kids they won't be getting the neat prize for selling the crap and that's it.
    I had issues selling girl scout cookies last year, too. We bought a whole bunch because we like them but I refused to go door to door in the middle of January when it was freezing outside. So my girls didn't make their quota for the year and I didn't care. I didn't sign them up for GSA to peddle goods door to door.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Thats simple. My son knows we dont do fundraisers. The "prizes" are total bs and none of the things the kids sell are worth the money. If the school is selling yearbook, school pics, tshirts, or anything Im in but fundraisers? No maam
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You don't have to sell anything, just return the forms back to the teacher or just ignore it. I have. You also don't have to make the kids go door to door (my son's elementary school, didn't even encourage this...they told to sell to friends and family).

To the PP that was talking about a preschool fundraiser. I am a preschool teacher and if we didn't do fundraisers, we wouldn't have the money to keep running the program. We wouldn't be able to get all the nice toys, educational material, etc for the children. I teach in a small Catholic preschool where the church ignores us, so we have no choice but to fundraise so we can give the preschoolers the best education we can.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2009