For the moms with/have had both toddlers and infants at the same time

How did your toddler react to the new baby? How did you introduce them? How did you confort your toddler when they reacted badly?

Im curiuse because I have a 30 month old DD and my DH and I have been TTC and I was sitting her thinking we havnt even talked about how DD would deal with it.

Extra question for the ones with school aged kids onto of it. How did you do all of that with them too? I have a 7yo DSD also. She has 2 other siblings so she has been through it with her mom but her daddy is her life and idk how she will handel him having another baby. She took on to my DD pretty easly but she knew that was just daddys step daughter. Didnt actually come from him so to her it was diffrent.

sweetiowamommy

Asked by sweetiowamommy at 4:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had my youngest when my twins were only 19 months. When I first brought the baby home, it was kinda hard for the first few days. My older two were confused, I mean no matter how much I explained it to them, they didnt understand that I was going to be leaving them for three days and coming home with another baby! When I got home, they were interested in their new baby sister at first, but oh man when she cried and I had to pick her up....oh that didnt go over well with them! They were used to being the center of attention, and then BAM, here's this little thing taking all their attention away! lol. About the third day they realized she wasnt leaving, and they got used to her, and even wanted to start "helping" with the baby. Now the twins will be 4 in Feb, and the baby will be 2 in a few weeks, and they are the best of friends!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my son is 25 months old...i had m new baby boy 12 days ago and he never reacted badly.....he loves to gve his brother kisses and hugs.....i tried around month 6 of my pregnancy with # 2 to nt play with my son as much or hold him as much becuase i knew i wouldnt be able to once the new baby was here.....and he has reacted really well...he isnt jealous or mean to the baby...hes perfect.....i keep him involved....i let him shake the bottle to mix the formula and i let him gett he wpes and dapers and throw it away....i just keep him invovled...but best of luck to you.....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have 3 boys ages 41/2, 3 and 16mo. I did the same with the 2 older boys. That is starting when i was visibly pregant explaining to them that they were going to be a big brother and they would be meeting the baby soon. We talked about the baby's name and what to expect when the baby came home. My first son was 19mo. when i brought my 2nd son home. My 2nd son was 20mo when i brought my 3rd son home. Neither of the boys had a hard time adjusting to their new brother. I had my oldest feel needed by bringing me diapers, wipes or a blanket for the baby. He was eager to help. My middle son helped as much as he could, mainly just curious about the baby though.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Answered your other post. You won't have a toddler by the time any baby is born, you'll have at least a preschooler. Huge difference in how they will possibly react.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• yes baby and preschooler. not baby and toddler. i had ds 3 weeks beofre my dd turn 2. she actually didt meet him till he was 1 weel old( dd was in fl) but she is a great sister, loves him feeds him, helps during diaper changes. she gets jelous at bedtime but thast all. other than that she is great with the baby
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• we talked about sissy from the moment my belly started popping... and DS would come up and kiss my belly and would rub my belly... he was 16mos when DD was born and he came into the hospital room and walked up to DH who was holding DD and just looked at him with a dropped confused jaw and Rory was like Conner this is your baby sissy... and from that moment he was giving her kisses and always trys to help... when you get preggers... I think if you start by calling your belly brother or sissy they get it when the baby comes... Also... get a doll for when baby comes so your DD can "play" like mommy... she will nurse the baby like mommy and sit next to you and take care of baby like you do... you could even get some preemie prefold cloth diapers and then she could diaper her baby too... that way she will feel involved... :-) HTH
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009