For the moms with/have had both toddlers and infants and school aged kids at the same time

How did your toddler react to the new baby? How did you introduce them? How did you confort your toddler when they reacted badly?

Im curiuse because I have a 30 month old DD and my DH and I have been TTC and I was sitting her thinking we havnt even talked about how DD would deal with it.

Extra question for the ones with school aged kids onto of it. How did you do all of that with them too? I have a 7yo DSD also. She has 2 other siblings so she has been through it with her mom but her daddy is her life and idk how she will handel him having another baby. She took on to my DD pretty easly but she knew that was just daddys step daughter. Didnt actually come from him so to her it was diffrent.

sweetiowamommy

Asked by sweetiowamommy at 4:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• when we had #3 my oldest was going into kindergarten....she wanted to bring baby for show and tell. and was so proud and excited about having a new baby.

#2 pushed the limits and learned really fast that when mommy's feeding baby - mommy can't move! it was interesting and challenging for sure. but fun too.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• When I had my daughter my oldest son was 3.5 and started preschool that fall. 17 months later I had my youngest son and started a new school year 2 months later. My oldest was 5 then and entering his 2nd year of preschool (we had determined he was just not ready to start kindergarten yet). So they were 5, 17 months and newborn. The hardest part was getting everyone ready on time in the mornings and logistics, but once we got into a schedule we were ok.

The older ones did well with adjusting to siblings. I had books and toys nearby while I nursed and tried to include them in as much baby care as I could and it just worked itself out. Just know that no matter what your older child's personality/temperament or the baby's- you'll find a way to handle it and it will work out :-)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 4:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I forgot to add. They are 9, 5 and 4 now.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 4:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my son is 7 and my dd is 6 months ds enjoys his little sister. I will also add thatI asked him about having a little sister BEFORE I got pregnant.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My kids are 12, 9, 8 and 9 months. The older ones are SUCH a big help - and have loved their brother to pieces, especially my 8 year old daughter. All of her friends that come over want to play with him. She's always holding him - I can tell that they will have such a special relationship!

Answer by missanc at 8:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2009