what do you think? daughter babysitting certified.

I am wondering what other peoples opinions on this are. My sister and I have had a little disagreement on why people in our little community wont hire my daughter for babysitting, and instead pick my neice. Now my neice is 14, is just learning babysitting, and isnt certified in anything. My daughter took a Babysitting course, and is infant, child, and adult cpr certified, AND first aid certified. She did this because she is trying to save up money...but my neice is getting all the jobs...my sister says its because my neice is older...now mind you my daughter IS young...shes eleven...but she is VERY mature for her age...she cooks, cleans, even does her own laundry, and has even baked from scratch! Now she does have rules for babysitting...she isnt allowed to watch any child under the age of three without my supervision..(she gets to change the poopyness, but im there for support if she needs me)..cont.....

blueeyedgrl2377

Asked by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• my daughter took a redcross certified babysitter course at 12. At 13 she was hired for the summer to help a woman who had 5 kids (6,4,3 and newborn twins) and got rave letters when we moved from several families she babysat for. She also watched my newborn when she was 13 on dtae nights. Personally it's not the age. HAve people give references when she babysits/. Personally I would take someone CPR certified over an older child anyday.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• now she has babysat a few times..a local girl thats 5, a neighbors boy who is 7, and a baby that was 1 here in my house...now do you think my sister is right? cause lately no one is asking my daughter to babysit...and my neice said the parents said she is too young...but how can i make it fair that my neice split the jobs, or should i just let this one go?
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• She's 11 parents probably think that's a little too young, I do! Why don't you ask some of the other moms, but it is great that she is already taken the steps for when she is older and lands that babysitting job!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i see where you're coming from. and i feel bad that your little girl is missing out on all the babysitting jobs, especially since she worked to get th certification. but, as a mother, i wouldn't hire anyone so young to babysit my kids. i think it might just be a matter of wondering if an 11 year old would have the reasoning skills to deal with a crisis, rationally. it's wonderful that she's being so responsible, though! and i wish her luck!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 4:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Your sister is right. I would NEVER hire an 11 year old to watch my children no matter how mature she was. In fact, I have paid a college student to watch my toddler while my 12 year old daughter was also home. If it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't hire your niece either. Your daughter will probably get more babysitting jobs when she is a little older. If you want to help her get jobs now you might have her advertise that she will watch them in your home and an adult will always be present (that would be a HUGE selling point for me).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I agree with the other mom who said i'd NEVER hire an 11 year old to watch my child... That is way too young regardless of her maturity level. In alot of states at 11 years old she can't even stay home by herself why am I going to leave my child with her (Even if the parent is there.)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• oh and btw it isn't fair that you expect your niece to split jobs she gets with your daughter..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I would NEVER hire an 11 yr. old you have to be 15 to stay home alone in my state.

Coolmommy1

Answer by Coolmommy1 at 7:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i think what my prob is that it was the state that offered the courses...and you have to be 10 or older to do it...so in our state its very legal...
    i also think i should clarify that the rules for her babysitting is a little more strict...she cannot babysit anyone out of our little apt area, i have to know their parents, i have to be home, and she has to have her tracfone on her at all times. she isnt allowed to babysit anyone too young unless she does it IN my house while im home, and she cannot babysit anyone outside our apt area...i was hoping for this to give her several years experience before she started babysitting with people she didnt know.
    And no i dont EXPECT my neice to split the jobs...not at all..i just think it would be considerate of her...i wouldnt ask her to do it...i just wish she would realise its actually bothering my daughter...i feel bad for her...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I also think 11 is too young....Im a SAHM and babysit to make extra money and the kids I baby sit regularly are 10 and 11. I would never let the 11 year old watch my 3year old even just outside playing while I make dinner....maybe you could have her volunteer in the nursery a church or something for a couple years......
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 9:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2009