male pitbull

beautiful male pitbull named Deisel. I don't know what to do with him, he is very sweet, seems to get along with kids well, he's only a year but he's huge. my dog sasha is not too happy about it, and i know she'll start something with him and she'll get her butt beat by him if he has to defend himself. he's in the vacant neighbors yard right now, we've been giving him lots of love, he gets so excited when he sees the girls, but i don't think we can keep him, im not sure yet, maybe sasha will come around, but i just want to have an idea on what to do if we can't. i live in colorado, and i think there is a pitbull ban in denver, not in my county, but im worried if i give him to a shelter they'd just put him down, he's so sweet he deserves better, im just thinking ahead. what do you ladies think??

addynbellasmom

Asked by addynbellasmom at 4:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Pets

• post him om craigslist but make sure you post him with a price so he isn't just picked up by someone that will abuse him(use for dog fighting). pricing insures a better home. some people even pick up free dogs from craig to sell to animal testing facilities. don't worry about you getting money for a free dog. you could always donate it to a shelter or rescue. you could try a rescue as well.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• u should of taking ur dog to meet him befor bring him home most dog take a while to adjust to someone invading their territory there will be snapping and growling just pay attention for a few days and if it sounds like they r drawing blood then seperate them...i would start introducing them wile they r on leashes first for the first few times and then i would let the one who showed less aggression off the leash first..when i had to move in with my parents they already had my brother dog who happens to be a pitbull my dog hated him at first..my dog growled and got snappy and sounded ferousious but after a few weeks my dog settles down and now they r inseperarable...but soon my brother it takeing his dog back home to va..they thing u have to remeber is like any other animal pack there has to be a established pecking order for dominence
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• really it only took about 4 days for my two dogs to start getting along. And my older one was well is still spoiled rotten. Pits are great dogs. Do not read all the hype about them. Of course they play the breed up as bad but there are bad dogs in every breed. I say give them a chance and yes when dogs play sometimes it does look and sound like they are killing each other.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:38 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Try looking online for way to introduce dogs. Don't keep them in separate homes. That will not help anything. Are there separate rooms you can keep them in for awhile. Let them get used to the smell off each other. Let them see each other but not "get" each other. Don't give up on him. You said yourself HE is friendly. You need to work on your other dog. Give it some more time. If your dog is still aggressive then try to find someone who you know would take care of him.

Like what was mentioned above you need to make sure the dog you already have gets along with the new dog before you make a commitment to another dog.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i would take the dog in, he'll exude dominance over the other dog immediately but that's ok its natural. and just be sure to check what the laws are and then do what you have to, to abide by them. i have relatives who have pits in areas they arent supposed to but there is a clause somewhere where the dog is assesed first and then they get some kind of permit to keep them.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:02 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• op here. i wasn't able to introduce them beforehand, my husband came home with him 2 nights ago, he said the owner(a guy he works with) just gave him to him because he was going through a nasty divorce and she wasn't taking care of him at all. so i guess he felt bad for him and brought him home, yes he should have thought about sasha before hand, but whats done is done. Our dog is VERY protective over "her" girls and me, and she usually gets along well with dogs she's known for a while, it takes her time, but she gets there, i just wanted some extra advice, just in case...thank you all so much!
    addynbellasmom

Answer by addynbellasmom at 3:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• well i got 3 black labs and they are 6, 5, 2, and they still act like a 6 month old puppies. this might help but we run them crazy, like take em to the river and make them swim, or chase the tennis ball... he just gots lots of energy and needs to get rid of it.
    Mamalab07

Answer by Mamalab07 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2009