Daycare issues

Idk what to do...I was just informed by my babysitter that her and her hubby got into another fight and she's packing up and moving. I dont know what to do. I just started my job 3 weeks ago because I thought I was going to have a dependable babysitter. I live in a small town with only one daycare and she is packed full. She can't take any more kids at all. Anyone I know that could babysit is in school and I work 6am to 2pm. The rest of the people, I dont trust with my kids. Any ideas on what I can do? I know of one girl that could babysit but I would have to drive 10 minutes to drop them off and drive 10 minutes back to work then do the same after work. Please help me.

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 4:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• See if you can get vouchers for daycare, you might be put on a waiting list but at least you'll be able to afford a day care, for now do you know an older lady who would take very good care of your child or a SAH relative?
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• 10 minutes is not that bad, especially if it allows you to keep your job. I'd do that for now and start looking for someone else. Also, get your name on the daycare waiting list if there is one. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We dont have anything like that around here. The closest place would be a 25 minute drive to go to a daycare. And I dont even trust my family with my children so Idk what to do. My husband took a major drop in pay when he was forced to switch jobs so I can not afford to quit working again.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 4:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Ummm... a 10 minute drive to daycare and you cant do that?? When I first put my son in daycare I chose the place that I was most comfortable with and she was a 25 minute drive away! Even though there were daycare centers/inhome daycares much closer (I even had one on my street) i put him where i felt most comfortable!

10 minutes is nothing
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Try churches and see if any of them accept young (infants), some do, a lot of churches where I live have daycares and afterschool programs.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Ten minutes is how long it takes to get to my daughter's preschool. I'm really having trouble seeing a 10-minute drive as a problem.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Ten minutes is a problem because we only have one vehicle now and idk how often my husband will need it. He drives semi and he can't always park his semi here at home.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 4:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• 10 minutes is nothing to drive. I drive 5 min to my daughters daycare then 25 to work and back.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• 10 min really isn't bad, thats what a 20 min walk? I have to drive my boys 30 min each way to precschool before that i was doing 45, if 10 min is the worst part of it id see if you could figure something out to make that work.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 9:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My sister had that happen to her.

Five times.

Do you actually need to work? When I was looking at going back to work the price of daycare ate more than 100% of my net after taxes. Ha ha. I didn't want to go to work bad enough to pay to go. You may find yourself in a similar situation.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:42 AM on Sep. 2, 2009