? about the cream/gel that doctors use to induce labor...

So I am suppose to go to the hospital to be induced on thursday evening. My dr said that they will first use something on my cervix to get it to start to dialate since I am only 2cm right now, then friday morning they will start the pitocin. So my question is how likely is it that the stuff the put on my cervix will get my contractions going without using the pitocin? I think it would be great if I would end up not needing the pitocin at all. This is my second baby and with my first my water broke on it own but I did end up needing pitocin when my labor did not progress, so I know all about that but I just dont know much about the stuff they put on your cervix to get it ready, heck I dont even know what the stuff is called. This is my first time being induced so if you have any advice I would love to hear it, other than from people that want to say dont get induced.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Cervidil - Labor Induction

Make sure it's NOT Cytotec!!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Cervidil but its not a gel or a cream, its a thing that resembles a tampon. I have never heard of it helping with dilation though, I thought it was used to help thin out your cervix.

I know 2 people that had cervidil and had there babies before the pitocin was even due to be started in the morning! so it is possible:) Or hopefully you can be like me... have the cervidil work enough that they can just break your water and then do the labor without pitocin
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My doctor used cervidil on me when I went in to be induced with my 3rd child. I wasn't dialated or effaced at all and 8 hours after the cervidil was put in I had my baby girl. Thankfully the pitocin wasn't needed.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 9:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I did have Cytotec, because my water broke before I had contractions, and I ended up having pit when I got stuck at 8cm (I had a pretty tough labor, for many reasons, Cytotec maybe being one). I would say to try the cervadil/gel, but the good news was that I didn't have the pit until pretty far along, and they never had to raise it above the minimum dose.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• wow, when I was induced they put four pieces of a pill on my cervix to help dialate me.. they didnt use the cytotec.I still ended up having the pit bc my labor was not moving along as fast as what they would have liked. they put the pill on my cervix at about 4:30 pm and the doc came and broke my water at like 9:30 pm after that they started me on pain meds because the contractions were so bad. Good luck with your being induced I hope and pray all goes well for you!
    Cameolynn

Answer by Cameolynn at 3:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2009