How can I get my 3 year old potty trained in 5 day?

I ran into a crunch...my babysitter just informed me that she is leaving her husband which means I dont have her anymore. I have a 3 year old that can start school on September 8th but she has to be potty trained. I will take ALL the advice I can get on how to get her potty trained before then. Please, please, please help me!!!!

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 4:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't put any diapers on her and be willing to clean up any messes with patience of course :) That way she can really get used to the sensations and the results. Encourage, praise and happy dance all the successes!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 4:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I trained my boys when they were dry at night, which happened about age three. Starting on Saturday morning I took them to the potty every half hour. On Sunday they were close to trained. I reminded them about every hour or less. I did put them in training pants on Saturday. I washed 5 pairs on Saturday, two pairs on Sunday. On Monday only the one they wore for the day. There were occasional accidents as is typical of anyone, but hardly ever.

Answer by Bmat at 4:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• when i got fed up of trying all the 'methods' of potty training, i just threw all the diapers away, and bought more panties for my SD (just turned 3). she peed in them several times, but each time she did, i explained why it was wrong, put new panties on her, and sat her on a kitchen chair, covered in plastic, for about 15 minutes. (not abuse, folks, so don't try to even bash)
    we don't to 'time outs', so sitting in a chair when she was in trouble was a new thing to her and she really didn't like it. she hated sitting on the crinkly plastic. and she hated having wet clothes when she peed her pants. most of all, she hated getting 'tinkle' on the princesses that are on her underwear. it took about a week... maybe it'll work for you! good luck!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 4:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• ps- a little bribery never hurt! we hve a candy jar for when she's dry all day long. and she gets plenty of praise, each time she goes. i also let her pick all her panties herself.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 4:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Good luck! My quickest was 2 weeks and it was HIS idea.

I agree with ditching the diapers and going to underwear...getting her going and clean up messes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I potty trained my children in less than 5 days before they were 3, so this should work for you. The problem is that you have to stay home for all 5 days, do you have some vacation time? I stayed home and literally went no where. I kept them in nothing but cotton underwear, plied them with juice all day and ran them to the potty every 15 to 20 minutes. I rewarded them for even the smallest amount of tinkle in the potty. My daughter was happy with stickers, my son wanted M&M's. My son took all 5 days, my daughter took 2. But I literally went no where....at all. No pull-ups either! They know that pull ups are diapers! The only problem that I see with only having 5 days is that she isn't going to have time to perfect her own timing. In the beginning they tell you they need to go potty the very second that they have to go and with practice they learn to tell you at least 2 minutes before they have to go, lol.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You can't unless she is ready to be potty trained. Don't lie about her not being completely potty trained just to get her in preschool/day care because you will tick the teachers off and she will get kicked out. I am a preschool teacher and we are ready to kick 2 kids out because their parents lied about them being completely trained. We are not equipped to change diapers, pullups or dirty underware. Parents get called to come and change their kids when they have accidents on a daily basis. Accidents once in a great while are ok. but not everyday. Also, if your kid cannot do all the toileting themselves, then they are not completely trained. They must be able to pull up and down their own clothes, get on and off the toilet themselves.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I potty trained my 3yr. old son so he could start preschool. He was developmentally ready at age 3 though. It only took him one day. He has been trained for 11/2yrs. now and the first couple if days he only had 2 accidents. I just did NOT put diapers on him no matter what. We even went to Wal-Mart the day i potty trained him. I told him he no longer was goint to wear diapers, that he was old enough to wear underwear and he needs to pee in the big potty. I bought one of those adjusters to put on the big potty and it worked!!! Now, if i can just get my 2 younger sons to potty train that easy. they are 21/2 and 16mo. so i have a while yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I potty trained my 28 month old DD in 4 days - no more diapers ay all! No pull ups during the day. We set a "potty timer" to go off every 20-30 min. I gave her a lot to drink so she had to go more. If she had an accident she had to help clean it. She got a lot of praise for going in the potty (and a jelly bean) She had pee accidents the first 2 days and poop accidents for 4 days but the 5th day had it down! She has been potty trained for about 2 weeks with no accidents! She likes using the potty seat rather than the seat on the toilet, let her pick. Buy some fun soap and go into it with 100% commitment. Also, telling her she can go to preschool if she is potty trained might help if she is excited about going.
    MommaDubbs

Answer by MommaDubbs at 7:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Buy the 3 day potty method book!
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 8:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009