Co Sleeping

My daughter will be two next month. My fiance and I decided to co sleep with her from birth and she still sleeps with us now. Neuther of us have a problem with it. What arae your thoughts? No bashing!!!!

blondiemaker07

Asked by blondiemaker07 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're just asking for trouble asking this question here. It's your choice and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I've co-slept with all of my children while they were very young. Each one has indicated to us when they were ready to move to their own beds and rooms. I thought it was really great during the nursing years, I got more sleep than I would have with them in their own beds.

Every family does what is best for that family. It's no one else's place to judge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You asked my thoughts so I am giving them to you! I am NOT bashing you for your decision, I am just stating my opinion:)

I do not believe in co-sleeping AT ALL. I believe that our bed is for us, not for our children. I believe that babies need to learn to self sooth and that is nearly impossible if they always have a parent within reach of them.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• No bashing here. I co-slept with my daughter til she was 2 and my son til he turned 3. We loved it and I miss it now.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• If you're both happy with the decision, you don't nee others' opinions. Cosleeping is bonding, safe, and beneficial. Those are facts. Only those who know nothing about it would argue that. So good for your family for all being happy together.

btw A baby is not old enough to self soothe- they're babies. Forced independence isn't real independence. It's just forced acceptance of being alone.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Hey! me and my SO cosleep with my daughter too. She is also two years old. We are perfectly happy. We tried it with my son who is 10 months....he didn't take to it at all. He likes to sleep in his playpen next to the bed.

There is nothing wrong with it. As long as you are all happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Eh....babies are babies. Let them be little while you can. You will miss it when they get older. I say if you want to cosleep then great. Happy cosleeping!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have co-slept with my daughter since birth..kinda had to since I was her sole food source (breastfeeding) and I dont see what the big deal is. However I hope to have her in her own bed by 2 1/2-3 years old. Just cuz I know it needs to be done...but I know I sure will miss those night time snugs. A good friend of mine let her daughter sleep in her bed till she was like 4 or 5 and her child had no problems sleeping in her own bed at that point and she is now 13 and shes perfectly normal.
    SarcasticMama

Answer by SarcasticMama at 5:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I cosleep too and while I love it, I'm ready to have my bed back. I can't sleep the way I want to and I can't cuddle my husband. So we're slowly (VERY slowly) transitioning into the crib, which will probalby become a toddler bed here in the next few months, since my baby is 15 months old :p

I think cosleeping is great as long as everyone is happy with the situation.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My opinion, both the parents and the baby (or in this case toddler) sleep better when in their own beds not being disturbed by subtle movements of the others in the bed.

It's not for us. It never will be for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• jus1jess...

i did NOT bash any parents decision to co-sleep so please do not bash my belief in self soothing!

My children are VERY comfortable when it comes to putting themselves to sleep and have been since they were very little.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2009