Breastfeeding

My daughter will be two next month and I still nurse. Often people's reactions are WHAT?! OMG!! Am I a bad parent for still nursing my two year old?

blondiemaker07

Asked by blondiemaker07 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO! The WHO recommend nursing until two as a MINIMUM. You're awesome! Keep going!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 4:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• No...my daughter was 2.5 when she stopped nursing. Of course, there are plenty of ladies on here who will tell you otherwise. To each their own.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Good for you!!!!!! I am jealous! My oldest stopped at 12 months. I was pregnant and I don't think he cared for the taste (apparently your milk is saltier when pregnant). My second refused me when I ate eggplant at 11 months. Lol! My daughter is 11 months and still nursing. I am hoping to nurse at least until the next baby arrives in 3 months! Keep up the great work! I had a friend who nursed past 2 years. She called herself a "closet nurser." It was hard to deal with people's reactions when they heard she was still nursing.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You know the answer to this. Breastfeeding til at least age 2 and beyond is healthy, promotes oral development, good for emotional well being, nutritious, and biologically correct. It's all gain with no negative side effects or harm done to anyone. How could that make you a bad parent? The only reason people freak out is because breastfeeding (especially past infancy) has a become a social problem thanks to America's sexual bias and ignorance.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• No, you are awesome! My son is 14 months and he still nurses. I have been so grateful for that, this weekend he was a little sick and refused all solids. He probably would have been in the hospital if he hadn't been nursing! My goal is for him to nurse until at least two. but I am allowing him to self-wean.
    Don't let other people get in the way of doing what you think is best for your child!
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• WOW, good for you mama. MY dd only nursed for the first week, I didn't produce, so YAY good for you.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You're freakin' awesome! Tell those people to shove it because you know you're doing what's best for your little one. And join the Breastfeeding Moms Against Formula (Other Than For Medical Reasons) group. We're all super supportive of full term breastfeeding :)

YOU ROCK.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• THANKS GUYS! Thats the support I needed!!! Most people look at me like im a FREAK! LOL. But im gonna keep on doing it! Im hoping she will self wean
    blondiemaker07

Answer by blondiemaker07 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Only if you beat the baby while you're doing it.

You don't beat the baby, you say?

Then it's flatly impossible for you to be a bad mom. **smile** Nothing AT ALL wrong with nursing at age two...in fact, it's the recommendation of the World Health Organization.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm jealous as well. My little one stopped at 14 months and I wish he still nursed. I would have loved to have nursed him until at least his second birthday!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009