My 21 month old is driving me nutty what do I do?!?!

I would never lay a hand on my beautiful girl nor verbally abuse her but OMG she does not listen to anything I say No matter if I say nice, monotone, excited, angry, stern, or yell. The only results I get is being ignored or tears. I feel like I cant take it anymore. Please if someone can tell me what to do I would be eternally grateful. Please Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• go to the bathroom and close the door, i keep magazines in there, one day the older kids thought i had the runs because i kept going in there for a few moments of sanity

my toddler has head banging tantrums, so i know how you feel like pulling your hair out

do you have any relief? husband, mom, friend, someone that can watch kids while you get out to even do some errands

sometimes going to the grocery store alone is like a mini vacation

hang in there, you are not the only mom who feels this way
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• OMG Thank you so much I feel better knowing that its not me losing my mind. I am a single mom so its hard for me to be able to get out to do anything without her. Bathroom idea sounds great but then she will bang on the door and cry...I guess I should just let her throw the fit till she wears herself out. Yes I so feel like pulling my hair out or dropping her off at grandmas and drinking vodka till 2am lol
    SarcasticMama

Answer by SarcasticMama at 4:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my toddler has tantrums and the hold her calmly until she is done does not work at all
    we use the ignore method, as long as she is safe (and feed, dry etc) but when she fits she is looking for attention, so we give her zero, or as close to zero as we can. i have been at grocery store and had to leave a cart full of food because she was throwing a tantrum and it takes my two hands, arms and whatever i can to control her, get her safty in the car seat and she screams all the way home

some people do not get this, i have been asked from strangers.."what is wrong with her"
    i response...she is two

it is just what some toddlers do

when she is fitting and i think i can not take it anymore, i try to find humor... like, she will be a strong woman, she is practicing expressing her opinions

write me when you need to,,,add me as a friend
    kat
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• When my daughter has a tantrum I either ignore her or if I am really frustrated and angry...I get down on the floor and yell and scream with her. It shocks the hell out of her and it feels soooo good..lol. She will stop and stare at me since mommy is now acting like a lunatic. I know it's not setting the best example but hey..... It's an act of desperation. Usually I ignore her and it works. You cannot argue or reason with a toddler.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I get the same way. Somedays are too hard to take! I've been there SO many times and my son is the same age..haha.. Locking myself in a room doesn't help me either cause I stay mad when I hear him cry. I just wait for bedtime and have a drink when he goes down or go outside and read a book or run to the store -but I know it sucks to have to make it all the way to bedtime too.. Nothing distracts my little one so I feel ya -hang in there - its pretty common and i thought I was alone til finding CM - other mom's don't seem to lose it like I feel I do - I think everyone hides certain things better
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• is there a toddler tantrum group, if not there should be and i am too computer stupid to start one

i have gone on you tube and watched other peoples toddlers having fits...it helps...sounds strange but it helps to know that yours is not the only screaming, fitting, tantrum throwing child out there
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• it only gets worse. my dd is 30 mts and sometimes i wish i wasnt bf so i could drink a few beers lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My 14 mo has tantrums as well. I have had to leave places as well b/c I will not put up with it. There are many days where I want to walk away and hide. I think that this is just a phase that all kids have to go through. Some are just worse than others. I just walk away and let her scream. Recently I have actually been paying more attention during the tantrums b/c she is teething. Little things hurt her feelings and she has a tantrum when she normally wouldn't. Hang in there I am and am also hoping that it will get better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• im not gonna lie.. my dd is this age and it just seems to get worse and worse. I just sat down today in her room and prayed for sanity and to calm down. Hey God gave her to me Hes gonna be there to make sure she doesnt drive me nuts!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my son just turned two but he had been doing the same thing for a very long time it got so bad that when i took him for a check up at the doctors the only thing she wrote down was he had behaivor issues and i was shocked she told me that when he threw fits to ignore him because he does it for attention and believe i went through the same thing i didn't like getting on my son no more than you probably do your little girl BUT sometimes it is just wat has to be done or believe me the fits get worse since i have cracked down on my son we have a better relaionship
    a_mommy_forever

Answer by a_mommy_forever at 8:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2009