Duggars: Are they really being good Christians?

With the announcement of baby #19 on the way, I have to ask this: Are the Duggars really being good Christians?

Back in Biblical times, and even long after, having many, many children (and even by many wives) was not only acceptable, but also encouraged for several reasons. 1) Many children did not live to their first birthday. 2) Many did not live on into adulthood to continue creating children and keeping the bloodline going. 3) The family farm needed many hands to keep it running. 4) A male heir was pretty much necessary.

However, it is a new world today. None of the prior listed things are necessary. Not to mention all the homeless kids there are in the world. Also, and this gets me thinking hard: Mrs. Duggar's uterus gets weaker and weaker with each child that is born. Since she refuses birth control, her uterus will eventually get too weak to sustain a child. She will miscarry. And as Christiana...(cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• what? how many children u have or dont have has nothing to do with how good of a Christian u are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• ...many of us believe that life begins at conception. If she doesn't stop and use birth control or even NFP to keep from conceiving after knowing that her womb cannot carry any more children, what will people thing when all those babies die when she miscarries? Will it still be part of God's work? Or will she actually be considered selfish?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Lol, do you have nothing better to do? Really? I think if her uterus gets that weak, she would get a hysterectomy or whatever needed to be done. I think if she knows she cannot bear more children, they'll stop. Besides, why are you worrying about something like that. There is a difference between not using birth control and be physically unable to carry a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It's really none of our business. It's a decision between Mr. and Mrs. Duggar and no one else.

I don't want anyone butting into my family decisions and therefore I won't butt into theirs. They are financially supporting their children, caring and loving and the children's needs are being met.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I don't think how many children one has is any indication of whether or not they are "good" Christians. She has her beliefs and convictions, and they should be respected, as she's not forcing them on anyone else.

There's nothing wrong with them having children that they can support and love, and if they decide to have more, that's their business.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It is not our job to judge whether someone else is a good Christian or not, that is for God to decide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Is that your judgment to make?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I believe their following of Christian doctrine is the only thing that can qualify their spirituality. I think they are being foolish because of the risk to both mother & child, but she seems to be pretty resilient, so I guess it could be ok. What will irritate me to no end is when she dies in childbirth & then people will really start giving that family free-bees. It is their responsibility to assess the risks & prepare for them, but I don't see any evidence they are taking that into account, of course I am in no position to really know that.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Are they raising up their children in the way they should go? (according to their interpretation of Christianity). Yep. Are they being good stewards? Well, they have no debt and multiple sources of income. Their son who just got married has a home and a job to support himself and his wife and their child. So I'd say "yep" to that too. Are they kind, forgiving, generous, gracious, helpful, loving and put others before themselves? From watching them and the amount of people I've seen them help (and I only watch the show but once in a blue moon), I'd say so.

Miscarriages can happen to ANYBODY. Should a woman who is told it might be hard for her to get pregnant/sustain a pregnancy just give up because she might miscarry? This logic/judgement can be applied to SO many people in so many different situations. Mrs. Dugger is trusting God as she believes she ought to; I say live and let live.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• As a Christian I believe in the power of prayer. I also believe God can keep her uterus strong and I will never confess over someone that their uterus will get weaker... the power of the tongue is something to watch out for.
    There is no such thing as a good christian. There is such a thing as a blessed Christian. No one is GOOD except the Father in Heaven. I bless this family, I speak health, love peace, mercy and grace over them and that they continue to do what they feel they are called to do. What they do is not for everyone but it is for them.
    The bible says blessed is the man who has a quiver full. Mr. Dugger is a blessed man in the area of finances, health and beautiful children!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2009