Yes Sir, Yes Ma'am

Do you use the words Sir and Ma'am? Do your kids?

Our neighbors are very religious and their children, always address their parents this way, just wondering if this is common to some groups or parts of the country, or if it is just a personal decision?

lilymama03

Asked by lilymama03 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• We only use "sir" or "ma'am" under certain circumstances, so our kids only use them in certain situations as well. We mainly use them when we don't know the name of the person we are talking to. As in: "Excuse me sir, you dropped your wallet." Our kids NEVER use those words with us though. I associate that with authoritative parenting and we definitely don't fit into that category.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Some times my kids say yes sir, and yes ma'am, but I don't make them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i moved to the south a few years ago, from pennsylvania. it's very common here. i'm still not used to it! lol. my SD says 'yes sir' or 'yes ma am' sometimes... but i don't push the issue. as long as she's polite.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 5:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I used to live in Texas and it was fairly common. i addressed my friends parents this way. My parents didnt make us but we had to speak to them with respect. We said Yes Ma'am to our teachers as well.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• From my experience may people in the Southern states use the Sir and Ma'am. I think it is respectful to use with adults. I am not saying only people in the south use sir and Ma'am, but for the most part that is where i have heard it used the most.
    Anonymous

• It's called showing respect for your elders. My kids only use it in a formal situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yes, and it doesn't have anything to do with religion. Why would you even put that in there?

It's called being polite.
    Anonymous

• My son has to say yes mam to me when he is in trouble or when i'm having a serious talk with him and I ask him if he understands. I think it is repsectful; however, I don't expect him to say it all the time in every circumstance. ex: did you have a good day at school today? Yes.
    Be sweet to your brother do you understand me? yes 'mam

My Dad was the kind that made us say it all the time and it was a little over board. It's all about when its appropriate if you ask me.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i live in south carolina and its common here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Very common in the south and I never understood until I had my own children. I do have them say it when I am correcting. I think its a good way for your child to acknowlege that you have explained something to them instead of something disrespectful instead of..."I know-WUH!"
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009