Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cleaning baby toys

I got some baby toys from a friend, and they are used..which is fine, but I am getting ready to sanitize them. I know that I can bleach the hard plastic toys in the sink, or bath tub, but what about the toys that have like material and cloth on them? I am very germ cautious when it comes to my new baby...so I would rather not have her chewing on something that wasn't sanitized. I'm sure you can all relate. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Answer Question
 
itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 5:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 4 (57 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Depending on the material, you can wash them. If not, spray them with lysol. Baby cant have them right away, but the germs will be killed.
    MommyLee08

    Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • omg, don't use bleach on children's toys!! toxic!! use white vinegar to clean them. :)
    Autumn22

    Answer by Autumn22 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • warm water and soap! :) if you're still worried, maybe lysol spray them and let them dry out...?
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • I use those disinfectant wipes.
    bxp10070

    Answer by bxp10070 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • Bleach is not toxic. It is caustic when active (it'll burn your skin) but it is not toxic. Once it's done reacting, what remains is salt water.
    SWasson

    Answer by SWasson at 5:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • clorox has hard surface cleaner which is safe to use around food and babies. I use that for my DD's toys.
    sopheeahsmommy

    Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 5:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • Bleach is antibacterial for less than 6 months after it is manufactured --after that, it's just toxic. Oh, and it (and everything else antibacterial) needs to stay wet on the surface for a minimum of 5 minutes in order to kill 99% of bacteria... a lot longer than that for 100%. LIke submersed for 15 minutes, kind of 'lot longer.'

    Children thrive in a reasonably dirty environment... it's how their immune systems develop and avoid attacking their own bodies (like asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, and possibly MS)...
    LindaClement

    Answer by LindaClement at 12:25 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.