How to get mom friends?

Hey everyone. I am a 22 year old mom to a beautiful 14 month old little girl. Her father and I are no longer together, but we are living with my boyfriend. He works 6 days a week from 9am to 6pm. I only work about 7 hours a week, so I am home with my daughter a lot. I need a way to find other mom friends out there before I lose my mind. I need some adult interaction, even if its just online. I would be willing to try penpalling again, but last time people just stopped writing. If anyone has any suggestions, or are willing to talk through email, messenger, or snailmail, please let me know!

Chickpeas

Asked by Chickpeas at 5:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The ONLY way I found friends was to put dd into partime preK and then volunteer there, and when the other moms came to pick their kids up, I pounced, erm, introduced myself. it does help that I live in a town of 3,00, and everyone on my street is either related or friends since birth. I met one, she got me into the whole clique! LOL
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My saving grace has been the park. It's close, so we can go at a moment's decision. I bring toys with me, so kids are drawn over by the excitement of toys to play with, so other moms or parents are drawn over, and conversations begin.

My other suggestion is to go to the local library and ask about story times, or to go to a local elementary school and see if there are any mom groups they can suggest. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Go to your nearest, Headstart office, they have programs for young children and it's great to meet local moms there.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have never heard of Headstart, what is it?
    Chickpeas

Answer by Chickpeas at 5:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Check to see if there are any local yahoo groups for things you're interested in. Maybe you live in Houston and love gardening you'd go to google and type in "Houston Gardner clubs" or whatever.

I know what you're going through. Just as I was finally starting to make friends we had to move :( I hope you have better luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't do the penpal thing unless you have a PO box, but even then I would worry. Too many crazies out there! Make friends the old fashioned way, check your local churches for Moms day out programs, the park, Parents As teachers, if you have that in your area. You can check with your school district, they should be able to help you find places to take your daughter for playdates etc..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• The library has been the place I have met the most Moms.
    chrisnjoesmom

Answer by chrisnjoesmom at 6:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Oh I so know what you mean! My only friends were soap operas!! LOL! I had them on to her some Adult conversation! They ha ha.. Were like my Friends But I never got asked to any onf the functions! I lived in the Rural Country! I had no near neighbots nor did I know any of them SAd.! I had No family!! Got you!! Recently I made A wrong no.# phone Call. I have an old phone & I can't See Well!! I misdialed & said my Peace & apology! She was A Young mom with 2 kids, dogs & cats & I was the Best thing that happened to her all Day!! We chatted for a little while! So I know you feel you're alone! You're not!! If you have Friends here.. That's A Start!! I too used to do pen pals!! Mine I gave A Baby Shower for her in the Mail! I was Generous! She was A great penpal! Then she got Better ones! One that had computers & more money. Then she dropped me!!! My DH & I are jobless.So be happy for work! Good Luck. Maybe now you'll get some!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2009