theyre spoiled brats they dont like me but I need this job!

I am a nanny to three children during the day an 8 year old 4 year old and an almost 2 year old. Now these kids have every toy you could possibly imagine and DEMAND their favorite foods prepared in a the exact way they want it or they wont eat it and or they will scream at you to make it again. I have tried doing fun structured activities with them (today we tried painting by blowing colored bubbles at a canvas) but it seems they have done every "cool" and fun thing I can come up with. I really do try to be loving and fun with them but I do have rules and its not rare for one of them to be sat in an age appropriate time out. I really want them to like me but I am not willing to break their parents rules. This dream seemed like my dream job initially because I get to bring my own baby with me to work. ANY suggestions as to how I can win these kids over?

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 5:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• * I meant to say this job seemed like a dream job
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Maybe u should talk to the kids and ask what they would like and also le there parents know. Seems tough,I wish u the best of luck!!
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 5:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I would fire somebody that calls my child a brat. They can have some expectations of how their food is to be prepared. Have you consider that these children could have sensory integration disorders where foods have to be done a certain way for them to be able to eat them? I mean don't assume a malicious intention behind their behavior, find out from the parents how they would want you to handle the situation, maybe they can explain to their kids that you are there to take care of them not to over indulge in their finicky appetites, for that they need a chef or mommy

Talk to the parents but under no circumstance refer to the children as brats. Also ask them to define your role in their formation.

What are my roles and responsibilities? What are your expectations as parents of my services for your children? What are do's and dont's when it comes down to your child?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Try just listening to them and showing them love. Only give into their spoiled ways if the parents expect you to. You will need to earn their respect and that can take a while. I would reward the good behavior and ignore their tantrums.
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 5:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• First thing first,stop trying to win them over,most kids when they know they can have their way with you will start to disrespect you. I don't make deals with kids. I think you need to have another meeting with their parents,see what ideas they have. Then talk with the kids,ask them what are their favorite foods and games they like. The oldest child should be able to help you alot. Please be careful,they might have a nanny-cam watching you. Please don't call them brats out loud.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• bebita you would be surprised at how many teachers and daycare providers call the kids they teach or take care of brats. Should they all be fired? Heck I even call my own son a brat on occasion! As long as OP doesn't say it to the kids or the parents I think she is warrented a little name calling due to stress. And sensory integration disorders? Have you considered that these kids are in fact, brats who want everything their way?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Just be kind patient and consistent. When you make a meal tell them that each one will have a chance to pick their favorite meal and that it will rotate. Winning them over shouldn't be the goal at all. Doing a good job that the parents like should be what you're looking for.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• lol I have considered the nanny cam but I would be on my best behavior regardless of whether they were watching or not I would never tell them they are brats and when I making the third child and entirely different lunch than the other OVER I even try to keep my eye rolls down to being minimally noticed. The other day the got in my van to go to the childrens musuem and began whailing because I dont have a dvd player in my car! They then demanded their snacks and I said they could eat them in teh car IF they brought their wrappers out not a single child took their wrappers out and they told me to buy better snacks next time. I have been passionate about childcare for a long time and I have worked with many many kids but I have honestly never ever experienced such a strong level of disrespect I run a tight ship adn I love it when I get a child who challenges me because it requires me to think but on this im baffled
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Sorry but a spade is a spade and a brat is a brat. My 3 boys never ever talk this way to an adult. The parents should have disciplined them better. Sorry, but no child of mine is demanding anything from me. I would have made a meal, either eat or go hungry period!!! No snacks, no deserts, and no special treatment. My sons don't scream when they want a toy and they don't act like bafoons!!! Stop throwing in imaginary issues and say no!!! How hard is it for moms to just say no!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• con 2:16. Take them to a park. Or possibly time to bring them down notches and donate time to the homeless shelters or charity work with kids there that are less fortunate then they are.
    jenzachsam

Answer by jenzachsam at 2:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2009