BF baby starting food...

This is mostly a venting comment... I absolutely hate all the advise behind starting a bf baby on food. I started my LO on veggies this month. He is 4 1/2 months old. All I have read on this site is "BF babies shouldn't start solids until 6 mo." In an ideal world, that would be great. In the real world, it is not always best for everyone. I am back at work, pumping and bfing through the night. BFing is a huge commitment and it is difficult to keep up with growing LOs. I don't want my LO on formula so starting solids now is best for our family. If I was a SAHM I would love to EBF for as long as my lo would take it but we need the money that I make... I have done the research and listened to people's advise. Every family/situation is different and our decisions should be respected. My son is happy and healthy and that's what's important. Anyone else feel this way!?

bxp10070

Asked by bxp10070 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• idk why some BF moms are all high and mighty about the whole solids thing, ive read other questions on here about moms starting their kids on solids at 9 months and they don't want them. i started at 3 months on cereal and 4 months on fruits and veggies, i don't see anything wrong with it. yea so what some people don't start til 6 or even 12 months, thats their kid they make the decisions i just hate having to listen to them and think they are better than other people....its so immature, we aren't in high school. (although some moms prob are haha)
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Not bashing here- then don't ask those types of questions or make your opinions public about it, if all you're getting is criticizim, or you could ignore those peoples remarks. The best thing to do is wait till your Pediatrician tells you to start your baby on something, not ask everyone on Cafemom!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I BF two babies. It does sound a little early for veggies. Rice cereal would be great now, but I put off jar baby food until 5 months. That was what my kids' pediatrician advised, so that's what I did.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I started my LO on jar baby food at 5 months. Do what is best for your LO and ignore all the other rude comments of all the know it all moms. She is 11 months old now and still breastfed.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I am a registered nurse, I did listen to my doctor and I would like to hear from others in a similar situation. My questions are still important to me, my son and maybe others, even if my son is 4 1/2 mo not 6 mo. That's mostly what I was getting at. I am usually very non-confrontational. I understand what you are saying, maybe I should've worded my comment diffrerently. (As I said-mostly venting.) I appreciate the advise i get here from other mom's I just wish everyone would respect our unique decisions/situations. I know there is not a mom on here who doesn't want what's best for her LO.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Again, thank you for your advise/comments. I appreciate knowing how others are doing it.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Hey, it's always your choice. Be aware that the breastmilk does come first.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2009