Hate the sin, not the sinner....

If you believe in this way of thinking, when you are friends with someone who is sinning, (well aren't we all) do you make it a point to let them know what sins of theirs that you do not agree with?
Do you apply this idea to yourself as well?
And if you do tell others what you don't approve of within their lives, what purpose does this serve?
It seems to me, that it serves nothing other than your own ego. As a way to say, "Yup I did my part, I told them they are sinners and now they know. I feel good." But what about your sins? Why are you concerned about how others are sinning instead of pointing that finger at yourself?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just have to ask if you're christian, not to discriminate, I have just noticed most of your questions have to do with religion and mostly they are very controversial, I'm not sure if you try to start a riot between people with your questions, or if you just know people like your examples.

By the way I don't call out peoples sins, we don't sit around and bash each other like you did this your a sinner but I did this so I'm a sinner, I recognize peoples sins I just don't call them out it's their business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It's not as simplified as you have put it. We are humans, and every one of us want to feel important,and like the world revolves around us. You can't just go up to someone, even if it's your closest friend and tell them what you "perceive" as them doing wrong. That would just start a war, in my opinion. Yes, Jesus told people what they were doing wrong,but Jesus was the ONLY perfect,sinless person to EVER walk the Earth,and He was entitled to do that. We aren't. We are just as big sinners as anyone, I am a sinner,saved by grace. If someone asks me what I think about something they are doing, or not doing, I'll tell them,but I'm not going to make a point,unless I think they are going to be hurt seriously, to do that. I have friends,and even family, including my children who don't always do things I approve of. I do pray very hard,for them,and if God leads me, I will share that with them,and hopefully, they will want more.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• But, to just go willy-nilly,and tell the world they are wrong is wrong,and judgemental. And, contrary to what Jesus taught us. So, even though I hate the sin, I still love the sinner,mainly because I,too sin daily,and God loves me,no matter what, and all I can do is live my life, Glorifying Him,and helping advance the kingdom of God daily.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• IF I were to point out something that somebody I am close to was doing that was a sin, the purpose would be to draw their attention to that. Not so that I could feed my ego but because I don't want them to sin, because I care about them and just as I care about their physical and spychological health, I care about their spiritual health and well being. I DO point the finger in the other direction and examine myself as well, all the time. I'm Catholic and that's one purpose of confession, to recognize when we sin. Now if I were to come across some random person who happens to be sinning I don't know that I would say something to them or not, I guess it depends on the situation and the person and it would be for the same reason I already stated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I love the way Matthew puts it. "Remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you will see cleary to remove the speck out of your brother's eye!". The only time I point out sin in someone's life is if they asked me or they are a christian that I am close friends to. As believers we are to encourage each other in our obedience to the Lord. If they are caught up in a sin (repetitive and not a one time thing) I would go to them about it. I would expect the same from them. It's humbling. If I go to others then I better expect it myself and be prepared to respond well.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• do you make it a point to let them know what sins of theirs that you do not agree with? Make a "point"? no, but yes my gay friends are aware that I do not agree with homosexuality, friends that have abortions are aware I think it is murder. We stay clear of them topics most the time.

Do you apply this idea to yourself as well?Not sure what you mean, but when I fall I remind myself it is wrong. I hate my sins not myself.

It seems to me, that it serves nothing other than your own ego It seems to me your final words were to stoke your ego~~ be we all have opinions.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• But what about your sins?

What about them?

Why are you concerned about how others are sinning instead of pointing that finger at yourself?

Who said I don't point the finger at myself?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I am not sure how to post pics on here but Grace is a message many christians do not understand and I saw this chart on Grace and how legistic churches deal with it and how Grace actually works and what it is not. If someone can tell me how to post pics I will try do to so otherwise Ill put it up on my blog and you can look there. Might be easier if I did that anyway lol .You know i think I will do that. Ill let you know the url then you can go see it. :-) It tells you how you should deal with sin ... its amazing and it is what my church practices.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• For those that answered, and said their gay friends know "how you feel"....why is it necessary for those friends to know how you feel? What purpose does that serve? Does it make you feel better that your gay friends are aware of your disapproval of them? Does it make their sin less "sinful" because they are aware of your humble opinion?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have just noticed most of your questions have to do with religion and mostly they are very controversial, I'm not sure if you try to start a riot between people with your questions, or if you just know people like your examples.

I am not a Christian and don't ask questions to start riots; thats what a troll would do. I ask questions because I am confused as to the reasoning of a lot of the things the Christian faith dictates.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2009