Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting a family member's child placed in your home after they've been removed by CPS...

A family member's child was taken by CPS and my DH and I are desperate to get her into our home. What should we expect from the social workers, is there a way to speed the process? We are so worried about her! TIA


Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • You should contact the Department of Social and Health Services in your area. They can help you. MommaRox is right, they are going to give the kid to family (if you are "acceptable") before they give him/her to anyone else. Social workers will be there to HELP you more than hurt you because you are doing what is best for a kid. However, if it is a conflict of interest, you should be very careful in getting your hopes up, as they may not give you the kid.

    Also, be aware of the type of contact you are having with the kids' parents, because that can effect whether or not they give you the kid. And to speed up the process, have the paper work done for them! You will (in most states anyhow) need to go in and be fingerprinted, and they will need your SS Card, Drivers license, etc. HAVE THIS STUFF AVAILABLE!

    And lastly, good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • I'd contact everyone I could to find out what I had to do to get the child, SS office, or the foster home where the child is. Family gets the child over anyone else, I do know they are leineint on the immediate family.

    Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • call social services in the county that they live in and tell them that you are interested in the child. They will do a home study on you and see if you are an acceptable placement for the child.

    Answer by staceynoel at 6:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • it's called kinship care and the rules are generally a little more lax than rules to become a certified foster parent they will be more likely to choose you as a more permenant placement because you are family but it can get sticky so prepare to be challenged. But just call DHS and ask if you can speak to the manager of teh childs case and tell her that you would really like if they would look into considering you and your husbands home as a placement for the child dont try to hide anything from them they will work with you on most issues just be 100% honest and it will go smoother

    Answer by katiekruschke at 6:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • You need to contact the social worker that removed her from the home. By law, they are supposed to place with a relative as soon as a suitable one becomes available. It took me 2 months to get my oldest out of foster care. They gave me every excuse they could think of. I called at least once everyday. It wasn't until I showed up for my sister's visitation that they took me seriously.

    Check the laws in your state. Know the laws in your state. Don't give up. Make them take you seriously.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

  • I had one of my nieces for awhile.They let me take her straight from the house when they came to take them.They called me and asked if I would come get her.But I would talk to the sw who came and done the report.

    Answer by kat247 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2009