have you ever told your child to shut up?

i mean actually use those words, i never ever thought i would. i am so angry with myself. my son is 4, can pee in the toilet, except when he holds it too long, he peed ALL over the bathroom, i mean 3 of the 4 walls, cabinet, all over the whole toilet and even the mirrow, i was standing there, looking in the mirror and he peed on me too. so i helped him get the stream in the bowl, then when cleaning it up i told him that i was bad what he did, you cant pee all over everything. he didnt mean to but he could be careful. and he started screaming "go to your room" which is funny, he doesnt go to his room. so i am trying to clean massive amounts of piss and he is yelling and i just said it.... "oh just shut up" he didnt seem effected but i am disappointed with myself. i should have put him in time out for yelling... i shouldnt have said that! so my boy has no aim and i have no class.... have you ever said it 2 you lo?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• So, your kid was screaming go to your room? It sounds like you yell at this child alot for him to say this. My son is using the #1 outside instead of the restroom. Trust me it's hard to control yourself when you have to clean every single thing in the restroom. I try to laugh at him and tell my son to aim in the big hole not the walls and etc. Just try and relax with your little one..... IT's very very hard. I have told my son to hush , but he keeps on talking... LOL.... Have him help you clean up next time with you. I guess this why my son will pee outside. Just move on .... Don't let this make you feel bad and just try humor instead.....
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• no but im sure one day i'll slip up too your human and when you get into the whole potty training issues when potty training is essentially over tension can be high use this as an opportunity to show your son you rhuman and you make mistakes and how to make them right tell him saying shut up isnt nice and you are very sorry for telling him to shut up
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have desired to say it several times, but I control my tongue. I think its disrespectful and even little kids, especially our own, deserve respect.

But we all get upset and loose our cool, with the situation you just described, you seemed to have stayed a LOT more level headed than I would have....;) I probably would have screamed and felt guilty afterwards.

Dont beat yourself up mom, we are human ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yes. I, too, was ashamed, but mine is much worse, as my DD was only 14 months old at the time. She doesn't much care for being in the car, and I was not feeling well, and had a very long day, and I was tired and cranky (not that it makes it ANY better) but she was sitting in the car just screaming at the top of her lungs, and I snapped and I turned around and I yelled at her, "SHUT UP! I am DONE listening to you cry. STOP. NOW."

I mean, granted, it worked..
    But I still feel horrible about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I say it all the time I feel bad after the fact but I can't help how annoying he is. He dose not listen to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Only in jest, like he might say "mom, you have a really stinky butt today" and I'll reply "shut up stinker" and then tickle him senseless. He knows it's only something we say when we kidding around with each other. Once he yelled at me to shut up when I was telling him off for something and I told him that was not OK and sent him to his room to think. He came back after a few minutes and apologized, asked me not to shut up because he likes talking to me. Little charmer so he is.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• NO, I've wanted to plenty of times but I used all my self-restraint and took a deep breath and as hard as it was I asked her to just be quiet for a minute or could you please hush!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 8:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• No. And I have felt bad and aplogized for saying a lot less. He says he is sorry and starts crying and I start saying I'm sorry....then we hug. That happens when we both get frustrated and go around and around a few minutes. It doesn't pay when I loose my cool and take on a harsh tone. So I try like crazy to maintain calm even when I'm just tired and want to hurry things along. He proves to me every day why I need to be the best role model I have to be, he deserves that.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Not when he was a preschooler, but now that he is 13, I have said it. He can be so irritating and act so stupid that it just amazes me. I try not to but sometimes it is all that works.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• yes several times to each in anger. I am not proud of it but I said I was sorry and we moved on.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2009