why do some parents freak out over a slight fever?

i think most people know the best way to take a babies tem under 12 mts even 24 mts is rectal. i have a cahrt at home given to me by my pediatricain and thsi is what it says. rectal temp
0-3 mts 100.4 is a fever
3-6 mts 101 is a fever
6-9mts 102 is a fever
9-12 mts 103 is a fever

my doc said that unless my child is acting funny and the tylenol and mortin arent woprking then not to worry. fever is an indictaion of the body fighting something. but i dont know how many times i have seen a mom freak out cuz her 3 mth old has a fever of 99.8(rectal) and some ignorant perosn comes and tell them is a high fever er. dont people read up on stuff before answering a medical question?

piwife

Asked by piwife at 7:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think they just love thier little babies.I think its ok to freak out a little sometimes.Maybe they are new parents IDK.I have been known to wig out a time or two.
    kat247

Answer by kat247 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I know how you feel. I remember once when my DD had an ear infection, took her to the dr, when he looked at her chart he actually took her temp again. (I think she was about 3-4) She was just be-bopping around the exam room with a temp of 104.5 He was amazed, but that's just the way she was. I've seen my step boys raise their temps over 100, just from running around and playing when it's hot.

Mine, on the other hand, has always run about 96. Like they say 98.6 is AVERAGE!! lmao Although I do know a few people that take their kids temp 2-3 times a day!! And med them up if the themometer moves even a teeny bit. (morons) lol There is a reason all our ancesters used to bundle themselves up when they got sick. Helps your body burn the germs/virus out. You've got a good doc on your hands, hand on to them.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• hey i wig out two but what gets me the most is teh ignorant idiot who yells out er. my dd is teh kind of child who gets really high fevers. like 103-105 sometime si wonder how those parebnst would react if the had my dd. one day she had a fevr of 104(she was 101) 10 mts before hitting 104 and she had a seizure and thena couple of mths later she had a fever of 105 yet she was jumoing around and being silly. excpet she kept grabbing her ears. even the doc was liek is she relaly sick and when he took her temp he was oh yeah is high but she was laughing.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You've got a good doc on your hands, hand on to them.
    thanks his awsome. i bf and he is very pro bf so i love him so much. i think sometimes parents tend to forget what a fever is . soemtimes i wonder if when a new paren has a baby if they even read the info given to them. if i were to freak out for every temperature change my kids have i would have no life lol'
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• OP. are thosse tems after you have taken away a degree? I agree with you that people can overreact. 99.8 recatal is a normal temp. because it would really mean 98.8. My oldest son had rotavirus and i was told not to be suprised if his temp went up to 104. It did go up to 103 and did not come down even after tylenol. It did not come down until i alternated tylenol with mortin every 3hrs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Anon... those are standard rectal temps... it's best not to add or subtract anything. If you were to call your pediatrician they would want to know the actual temp and how you took it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm always surprised when i see it too, my son is one of those kids that gets higher fevers from teething, 103 is not unusual for him. In my opinion its far more important to look at the child's behavior than just the temperature. One time he had a 104 fever and was lethargic ...we took him in and it turned out to be dengue fever (tropical disease spread by mosquito), but the other times there was really no reason to take him in at all.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2009