Does a true friend know your religious beliefs and morals...

...and still love you?

If you were to hide how you feel about something does it make it a lie?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• great we all agree---I can tell a gay person my morals is homosexuality is wrong and still be friends!

woo hooo glad we all know you can LOVE THE SINNER AND HATE THE SIN!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Your asking two separate questions. Are both questions about religious beliefs and morals and still being friends?

Or is the second question about lying about something other than religion in a friendship or another kind of relationship?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think a true friend would know your values and morals; but not because I told them how I disaprove of an aspect of their lifestyle. WHile I may disagree with how my friends disciplines her child, I would never tell her so. That is my opinion and belief; not hers. I respect her beliefs and how she does things, she doesn't need me throwing my opinion on her about how I think she should be doing things the "correct" way.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I didn't say does a true friend know you are disapointed in them...that is not at all what I said...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yes and yes. If you're planning on "outing" yourself to someone, though, remember that how you say it matters as much as what you are saying. A true friend will still like you, but they might not if they think you are trying to tell them how to live or accusing them of doing it wrong.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My "true" friends know my religious views and understand my morals and beliefs. We don't agree on absolutely everything, but I still love them and they still love me, so yes. We simply steer clear of the things we don't agree on and tend to concentrate on the things we have in common.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 7:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Would a true friend stick by me despite our differences in beliefs...sure. I have a couple of friends like that now.

Doesnt make it a lie to hide something but sometimes its best to not divulge everything because it could do more harm then good. The ego stroking isnt necessary in some cases you could say.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• This question is a bit ambiguous, but I will attempt to answer it and hope I answer it to the satisfaction of the OP. I think all of my friends know that I am a Christian. On particular issues they may not be aware of my stance, however I don't hide my feelings and views, it just may not have come up in conversation before. For instance right before the last election I was talking to a friend I have known for 9-10 years about who we thought might win, what we might expect, etc. During the conversation she stopped cold and said 'Wait...you are a DEOMOCRAT?'. I just laughed and said "Yes I have been all these years and you loved me anyway, so there is no reason to stop now.". It really shouldn't matter.

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• A TRUE FRIENDSHIP WOULD NOT BE ALTERED BY DIFFERENT BELEIVES OR FAITH. YOU DON'T HAVE TO HIDE HOW YOU FEEL AS LONG AS YOU DON'T POUND THEM WITH IT.

Answer by older at 7:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• If you are purposefully setting out to hide something than, yes, it's a lie and I can't imagine doing something like that to a true friend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2009